From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulink Interfact Toolkit

Hello Everybody,

I want to use simulink and PXI to control my robots. I want to know if it is possible to use a simulink .mdl file that contains a C based S-function doing things like matrix inversion, optimization etc with the simulink interface toolkit.

Thanks

Vivek.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,045 Views)
Hi Vivek,

One way to control your robots with PXI and Simulink would be to create dlls from Simulink and call them with LV RT.  You would have to map the controls from Simulink to LV using the Simulation Interface Toolkit.  You would of course need LV, LV RT and SIT.

Regards,

Nadim Rajabi
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,015 Views)
Vivek,
Yes you can use S-functions with Simulation Interface Toolkit. 

Since you will be connecting inputs and outputs of your model to signals from your robot you will want the interaction to be deterministic and the simulation to run in real-time.  This means you will be running your model on LabVIEW Real-Time (RT).  In most cases if your code will run in Windows it will run under LabVIEW RT, however some functions may not be supported.  If you are using simple C code it should not be any problem.  If you are including external libraries you will want to check that the code will run.  The best way to do that is to either generate the model DLL using Simulation Interface Toolkit (SIT) and check it using the DLL Checker for your version of LabVIEW that is attached to this Knowledgebase:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/0BF52E6FAC0BF9C286256EDB00015230?OpenDocument

If you don't have SIT yet, you can test the code by building a standard dll that uses the same code as what is in the S function and then testing that dll.

Carl L
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,928 Views)