LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating pile-up waveforms

Dear all,

I am a novice in LabView and would need some help or hints on how to generate pile-up events. An example of the event I am interested in is illustrated below (the "Signal"). (Source:https://nukephysik101.wordpress.com/2020/03/20/trapezoid-filter/)

I saw some posts explaining how to generate an exponentially decaying signal, but I could not find any relevant examples.

Thank you!

signal.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(747 Views)

Before you start playing with "signals", it would behoove you to learn something about LabVIEW, what it is, how to write LabVIEW code, how LabVIEW stores data and the various Data Type used by LabVIEW, how LabVIEW treats time (as sampled data naturally involves sampling time).  Have you any experience collecting data using LabVIEW (or "Does DAQmx mean anything to you")?

Can you create "something" (think about what that means) that you can "wire" to a Waveform Chart and get out a "square wave" (a signal that, say, is 0 from time 0 to time 10, then goes to 1 for time 10 to time 20, then back to 0)?  How about a sinusoidal signal at some frequency (like 60 Hz)?

Once you can do that, you just need to think about the "math" involved in making a trapezoidal signal (0 for a while, then linear rise at some rate, flat top, linear fall back to 0).  How about something with an exponential rise?

Do these one at a time, and I think you'll catch on to the idea fairly quickly.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(724 Views)

Can we assume that you know that the details of the theory and math and the only problem left is the LabVIEW "language barrier"?

(Your link itself does not give me much confidence, because it contains sentences such as "I do not fully understand the paper, for example, “the response of the system” I have no idea what does it mean.")

Have you looked at the learning resources listed at the top of the forum?

What have you tried and where did you get stuck?

If you are talking about "some posts", it always helps to include a link, right?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(690 Views)

I found the solution by writing a python code that generate such waveforms and then feed the code into a python node. The output of the python node is a 1D array which can be used for further processing.

wave.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(621 Views)

Hi cztee,

do you mind to share your solution?

(An image of a waveform graph (?) is not considered a solution…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(612 Views)