LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating a New Years Countdown with D-flip flops

I am trying to simulate a ripple countdown.

I use 4 D flip flops and clock each one to the next.

Theoretically, I think this should work.

Please let me know if my d flip flops are wired wrong.

CLD Certified 2014
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,744 Views)

Why don't you make it easy for everyone and attach the actual code? Are you able to debug pictures? We certainly can't.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,726 Views)

It is impossible to tell whether the D Flip Flop will work since you only show the Clear case.

You certainly have much more feedback or "memory" than a hardware flip flop needs.  The wires at the right side are tangled enough that it is difficult to even guess at what you are trying to do.

The counter does not look much like a standard counter circuit.  Since the D Flip Flop VI uses uninitialized shift registers, what is the purpose of the feedback nodes connected around each flip flop in the counter? Why is the Clock input to the first flip flop always True?  A clock signal usually alternates between T and F.

Have you run the VIs? What works or does not work?  If you want more help, please post the actual VIs along with an indication of what does not work and how you expect it to work.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,723 Views)

Does this help?

I simplified the D flip flop to not have a reset.

CLD Certified 2014
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,718 Views)

The Ripple Countdown VI uses a different D subVI, which you did not post.

The SimpleDFlipFlop produces Q = Q' = True on the first run with both D and Clock false. On successive calls the outputs toggle but remain equal.  A flip flop should never have the outputs equal.  Labels or descriptions on the wires and shift registers would make it easier to figure out what you are trying to do.

How about a truth table to show what each signal should do?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,709 Views)

I used the D flip flop circuit to create a vi.

CLD Certified 2014
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,707 Views)

Here is the Ripple Down Counter that I am trying to implement.

A is Most Significant Bit, D is Least Significant Bit

Controller.png

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,697 Views)