cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating Keyboard Std In/Out in cmd

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I have a .bat file which I run using System Exec VI.

After starting, the user will be required to hit 1 twice so that the programme can be executed. I want to avoid hitting the keyboard, so I can send this through labview so my programme runs fully Automated without any Input from the user.

I tried this without success maybe someone has an idea how I can implement this. Also I will like to read the result from the cmd window after the execution.

thanks in advance for your suggestions

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,689 Views)

So why not prompt for user input within Labview before starting the CMD?  That way, the CMD prompt is only used for running the compile routine. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,664 Views)

After rereading your question, I understand what you are saying.  I was assuming you have source code for the routine and I think that was a wrong assumption.  You want to start the routine, simulate two keypresses with Labview and let it run. 

I think you will need to dip into Windows dlls or .NET to accomplish that.  I posted a link in another post earlier today about calling a CMD prompt from .NET (which I think would be possible...not having done it myself).  This .NET function would potentially return a window handle that you could then use to send some simulated keyboard input.  The .NET constructor is System.Diagnostic.Process.  Give it a try and see what happens. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/691716/running-cmd-commands-via-net

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,654 Views)

thanks aputman, I will try it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,649 Views)

You shouldn't have to simulate anything.  System Exec has a standard input for just such an occasion.  Call your bat file in the command line and send the input in through the standard input.  Or maybe I misunderstood you?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,634 Views)

Hello Billko,

You did not misunderstand me. I did that "sending 1 through the Std Input" but nothing happens.

Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,600 Views)

@Frank_view wrote:

Hello Billko,

You did not misunderstand me. I did that "sending 1 through the Std Input" but nothing happens.

Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

Ugh, I didn't the /k switch.  I'm not sure it works with that switch.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frank_view

Hello all,

thank you for your responses and contributions. I have a solution which I can now use. I saw a VI made by user "Michael_W." on "Programmatically Simulate Key Strokes in LabVIEW"

I have used one of the VI's to simulate my keyboard input when needed and it works as required.

Attached is a rough and quick implementation with the VI.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
(4,527 Views)