From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulate the presence of an instrument

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everyone!

I'm reading the data from an instrument that is in the lab and where there is junt a run-time version of labview instaled.

The instrument is an multiplexer GPIB interface that uses SCPI. To get the information i am using the VISA pallete.

But everytime that I change something and have to test it, i need to compile go to the lab test it, come back to the office, correct something, and so on...

My question if there is a way of "simulate" the presence of the instrument.

If someone can give me a light I will be thankfull!

Best Regards,

Thiago Bach 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,172 Views)

Thiago,

you cannot simulate GPIB devices. At least not directly in software. So either you have a GPIB interface in the development system with a dummy (hardware) connected which understands the used SCPI commands you use for the multiplexer device. Or you can write some simulation module which simulates the complete GPIB interaction and never accesses real hardware.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,159 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thiago Bach

Hi,

Either you use IVI Drivers to Simulate a GPIB Instrument or you write a kind of a personality in LabVIEW.

Christian

Message 3 of 5
(3,157 Views)

Guys

I appreciate the answers!!!

But i thought in something more simple. I'm not going to give a try becouse it will cost me too much time to configure the drivers so that they react as my instrument...

But, yes this for sure solves the problem!!

Thanks a lot,

Thiago Bach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,144 Views)

If your problem is solved....please mark something as answer for other users having the same question in the future.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,134 Views)