LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulate signal express vi

Solved!
Go to solution

This is probably a very basic question but I suppose it's only easy if you know the answer..

Could someone explain what the difference is between the following in the "Simulate Signal Express VI": Sampling Rate (Hz) under the Frequency tab and Samples per second (Hz) under the timing tab.

There is a condition that the number of Samples per second must be at least twice the value of the Sampling rate which doesn't make sense to me.. I'm guessing it has something to do with the nyquist theorem?

Strokes

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,462 Views)

There are no frequency or timing tabs for the Simulate Signal express VI.

Message 2 of 5
(2,454 Views)

My bad.. didn't meaning tabs. See the sub panels labeled "Signal" and "Timing" in Simulate Signal.png. I refer the above question to these sub panels or whatever you call them...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,448 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Strokes

Okay. Frequency refers to the desired output signal while samples per second refer to the discrete number of samples that will be used to create the output signal. And yes, in order to comply with Nyquist, the number of samples/seconds must at least be twice the desired frequency.

So, for a simple example, if you select a 10Hz signal and 100 Samples/sec, each cycle of the sine wave would consist of 10 discrete steps. Bump the Samples/sec up to 1000, then each cycle would have 100 discrete steps. so you would have a much smoother sine wave.

Message 4 of 5
(2,445 Views)

Is there any way to trigger a signal like this ad show on graph a stable e "stay in place" waveform? I'm having some trouble with Trigger&Gate express Vi the waveform flicker on the screen or move.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,438 Views)