From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulate an FPGA VI on cRIO (Not Host)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I have a remote installation that's running a cRIO and four ethernet FPGA expansion chassis.  We've recently blown a fuse and one of the expansion chassis is not running.  We won't be able to get onsite to troubleshoot for another week.  I'd like to get the installation back up and running at some reduced capacity.  Trouble is the down expansion chassis is heavily integrated into the cRIO's code.  Errors propagate all over the place and there are a lot of references to FPGA front panel objects and FIFOs.

It occurred to me the easiest way to get things up and running would be to run a dummy FPGA VI that reports null data and "every thing is OK!" signals.  I can't think of how to do it, though.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?  I'm also open to other strategies.

Thanks,

-Alec

Mechanical Engineering Services
www.ahmackenziedesign.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,423 Views)

Hi mackenziedesign,

How extensive is your code? Is it possible to just disable certain sections and wire in constants for that missing FPGA? Some areas of the code you could manually filter out known errors as well. Do you have any extra hardware that you could run the dummy FPGA VI on?

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,375 Views)

The code is pretty extensive.  It would take me so long (with my current workload) to remove all the FPGA refrences that we'd probably have the fuse replaced and the problem solved before I finished.

-Alec

Mechanical Engineering Services
www.ahmackenziedesign.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,361 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alchmcknzie

Alec,

I’m not sure that I know of any short term fix for this in your time frame. I know there are some libraries such as this one, but even if you found one specific to your application, it would still take quite a bit of code work. Again if you had some backup hardware, then you could simply run the dummy code off of that. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,330 Views)