From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple example for Labview 8.6 Dll to be called by Vb.net Application

Solved!
Go to solution
First I would like to say that I am not a seasoned programmer for any language.  I have worked with Labview for many years, but never tried to link it with another application.  I have gone through all the pages of the Labview section on this board and have tried most examples, but was not able to get a working application. Some looked very promising, but I just could not figure it out.  I know how to use C++ dlls with Labview, but cannot understand where in Labview I set my "function". In C++, I would have my function exports, but cannot find that in Labview.  If someone has a simple example ( even if it is passing an int and giving that same number back) for a Labview Dll being called by Vb.net I would truly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,487 Views)
First, you have to create a project and add the VI(s) to that. Under Build Specifications, right click and select New>Shared Library. You select individual VIs as source files and each one of the VIs you choose is a function. Each control/indicator will be a parameter.dll. Look in the on-line help under 'Shared Libraries>Building'.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,479 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiopsysP
There actually is a simple example avilable here: Simple Example Using VB.NET to Call LabVIEW DLLs. Unfortunately, it was written to use LabVIEW 7, and LabVIEW 8.x uses projects, as Dennis mentioned. Attached is the example updated for LabVIEW 8. I only have LabVIEW 8.2 so you may need to recreate the DLL. Just open the project and rebuild the target.
Message 3 of 4
(2,460 Views)

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.  I am sure this will be useful for many more people.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,441 Views)