From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siglent SDG 1032X

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey, 

I'm looking at using a Siglent SDG 1032X to ramp a Vpp from say 0->4V. I can do it using a while loop (ugly). I was wondering if anyone knew of a command I could send to the Siglent that would do this for me? Also, if there is a command that would turn off the output once I'm done. Thanks to all how help! Will attach the VI if necessary

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,940 Views)

Hi P4,

if anyone knew of a command

I guess Siglent knows all the commands supported by their device!

I guess they provide a programming manual (maybe just on request). And I guess all the commands supported by your device are described in this manual…

That being said: did you read the manual?

I can do it using a while loop (ugly).

What's ugly in using a loop?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,894 Views)

According to the manual:

COMMAND SYNTAX  <channel>:BaSicWaVe <parameter>      <channel>:={C1, C2} 

Wit parameter:

SYM <symmetry>. Only wave type is Ramp, you can set this parameter.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,888 Views)

Thanks GerdW, 

Yeah I have read the manual, but it was sparse on examples, which I was hoping for because it wasn't particularly clear on exactly how the commands should be ordered. I can dive into the VI that I downloaded from NI and reverse engineer it which I will probably try to do. And using a loop works almost how I want it, but the instrument "clicks" which talking to a siglent rep meant that it was switching relays. This caused a momentary drop in amplitude that I can't have. That's why I said it was ugly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,875 Views)

I'm only trying to ramp the amplitude while still having a sin wave with a frequency in the MHz regime. Essentially i want a piece wise function  

G(t) = A(t)*sin(2*pi*f*t) where A(t) = r*t for 0<t<t1 and A(t) = Vpp for t1<t. Vpp is the ultimate amplitude out that I want. A ramp function won't work in this case. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "ramp."

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,866 Views)

It looks like a fancy device. I wouldn't be surprised if it had an arbitrary waveform function. So you'd calculate data and upload it. That's how I did it on an USRP. Just a thought, I don't know Siglent.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,849 Views)

You are not wrong it is a fancy device. I've tried the arbitrary waveform, but it doesn't ramp up the way I'd like it to. I'm wondering if it has to do with the frequency with which I'm sending the data to the device? The resulting waveform that comes from the siglent *clicks* and then goes directly to the frequency and amplitude I have it set at without ramping up first.SigFrontPanel.PNGSigFlowDiag.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,833 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PFour

Well, first you can loose the two insert into array's and the top two shift registers. LV will automatically build the arrays when the outer tunnels are set to indexing (default).

Should I be able to see these *clicks*? The graph seems like a nice ramp to me. Note that you're probably the only one in this thread with a Siglent SDG 1032X.

In short:

1) does the device output your wrong waveform correctly? Or

2) does the device output your waveform incorrectly?

With 1) it's easier to help, since it wouldn't require a physical device.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,820 Views)

I'll go back and update my VI with the new knowledge of indexing thanks. 

The *clicks* are hardware related. Talking to a rep, they are relays that switch when you give it a command.

The waveform I built is what I want the siglent to output, but instead its just outputting a sine wave at a frequency and amplitude. So the siglent outputs incorrectly. Why is it that no one here uses a siglent? We also have a Stanford Research Systems function generator, I'm just waiting for the hardware to communicate with it via Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,805 Views)

@PFour wrote:

> Why is it that no one here uses a siglent?

It's not that no one uses Siglent, but that no one actively involved in this forum uses Siglent. And those that do, probably use it in another way. My wild guess is that maybe 200-2000 people actively answer threads. We're all involved in very different activities. Some of us might never need a waveform generator. If we need one, we probably use NI waveform generators, some might use Agilent\HP\(or whatever they're called now) or Keithley or something else. So the butter is spread thin...

As for the problem, my guess is you lose the ramp, since the device is busy switching to a higher output range. You might need to tell it to go to a high output range before starting. But that's just a wild guess... 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,794 Views)