LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut off auto scroll when editing front panel

Solved!
Go to solution

When I am selecting front panel controls using the cursor to draw a selection window and my cursor goes past the edge of the window, the front panel scrolls.  I absolutely detest this behavior.  I suppose that once or twice in the last 20 years, that may have been useful, but the vast majority of the time it just screws up the front panel and I have to waste my time getting it scrolled back where it is supposed to be.  I have looked at Tools>Options... and File>VI Properties, as well as searching the internet and this forum, but have not found a way to shut it off.  Is there a way?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,941 Views)

For specific VIs you can right-click on the scrollbars and turn them to "Always Off" which seems to disable the scrolling ability entirely. For front panels which will be visible to the user I have seen people write simple functions to just set the owning VI's panel position to the origin (I think TLB' templates do this)

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,922 Views)

I'd hate to shut off the scroll bars; I do use them some time.  It's not that I never want to move the front panel, I just want it to happen only when I make it happen.  I have seen where someone put a disabled control at the origin, so double clicking on it in the block diagram moves the panel back (assuming the control was off screen), but I hadn't seen a function.  Can you point me to one?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,915 Views)

I attached the LabVIEW 2017 version of what the TLB' template uses. I didn't find one already online but it shouldn't be too difficult to take the code here and put it in a quick drop shortcut.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,910 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JohnEE

There's a quick drop shortcut that moves your panel back to the Origin.  It's included by default in 2018; the link can be used to get it if you want it for earlier versions.

Message 5 of 7
(2,905 Views)

the Open G TK has the classic Fit FP to largest decoration.vi and is a common way to get around unintentional edits to the FP size.  And the decoration CAN be transparent (I-d personally only set it Transparent when App.Kind was not "Development"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,886 Views)

Kyle97330 - Great!  This will do the trick; thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,862 Views)