From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut off auto scroll when editing front panel

Solved!
Go to solution

When I am selecting front panel controls using the cursor to draw a selection window and my cursor goes past the edge of the window, the front panel scrolls.  I absolutely detest this behavior.  I suppose that once or twice in the last 20 years, that may have been useful, but the vast majority of the time it just screws up the front panel and I have to waste my time getting it scrolled back where it is supposed to be.  I have looked at Tools>Options... and File>VI Properties, as well as searching the internet and this forum, but have not found a way to shut it off.  Is there a way?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,925 Views)

For specific VIs you can right-click on the scrollbars and turn them to "Always Off" which seems to disable the scrolling ability entirely. For front panels which will be visible to the user I have seen people write simple functions to just set the owning VI's panel position to the origin (I think TLB' templates do this)

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,906 Views)

I'd hate to shut off the scroll bars; I do use them some time.  It's not that I never want to move the front panel, I just want it to happen only when I make it happen.  I have seen where someone put a disabled control at the origin, so double clicking on it in the block diagram moves the panel back (assuming the control was off screen), but I hadn't seen a function.  Can you point me to one?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,899 Views)

I attached the LabVIEW 2017 version of what the TLB' template uses. I didn't find one already online but it shouldn't be too difficult to take the code here and put it in a quick drop shortcut.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,894 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JohnEE

There's a quick drop shortcut that moves your panel back to the Origin.  It's included by default in 2018; the link can be used to get it if you want it for earlier versions.

Message 5 of 7
(2,889 Views)

the Open G TK has the classic Fit FP to largest decoration.vi and is a common way to get around unintentional edits to the FP size.  And the decoration CAN be transparent (I-d personally only set it Transparent when App.Kind was not "Development"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,870 Views)

Kyle97330 - Great!  This will do the trick; thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,846 Views)