cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shown Sensor-Value jumps from 0 to -0

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

i already (falsely) posted this Topic to the Labwindows-Board, which is why I post it here again.

I'm new in LABVIEW and I want to use a Burster 8661 Torque-Sensor, which is connected via USB. I installed the LabWindows-Drivers via the Labview Instrument Driver Import Wizard. I followed the Instructions in the Manual of Burster.

I made a Little Labview-Program, that should read the Serial Number and the Torque. The Serial Number is detected and shown correctly. So I guess, that the Driver is installed correctly ?

The Torque jumps between 0 and -0, depending on the turn-direction of the measurement-shaft, but does not Show the real Torque-Value.

Can anybody help me or had a similar Problem?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Steffen

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,474 Views)

Hi Steffen,

what is the value shown in the torque string indicator?

Please set the formatting of your torque value indicator to "%.4g", then report your values again!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,466 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thank you for your fast answer. The shown Value in string Indicator is the same as in the "normal" string Indicator.

I modified the program, so that there is no while-Loop and the program is less "complex".

I set the formatting of torque indicator to "%.4g", but the indicated torque remains the same 😞

Have you got any other ideas?

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,447 Views)

Hi Steffen,

so the "values_as_string" shows the very same "-0" as is shown in "ValueTorque"?

My pure guess: the torque value is rather small (around 0) with some noise added. The Burster functions/driver applies some rounding to the transmitted value which ends up in "±0" (instead of maybe "±1e-6")…

As I don't have access to those bp8661 functions you can either investigate their content on your own, read the manual or ask the Burster support about those values. (They offer good support in my experience.)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,439 Views)

Yes, they do Show the same, depending on which direction I turn the shaft.

I already thought about the rounding and made the same conclusion like you. 

But when I turn the shaft, the provided program of burster, called "Digivision" Shows a torque of about 0.3 Nm and so, the Labview Driver should not round 0.3 Nm to 0....

I already contacted the Support and hope they can help me.

Thank you anyway!

Regards

Steffen  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,430 Views)

Hi Steffen,

did you set your computer account to use "English" numeric format with "." as decimal separator and "," to separate 1000s?

(I had several "mysterious" problems with software not respecting the default German setting of "," as decimal separator…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,424 Views)

Hi,

i tried this and it showed no Change... 😞

I produced a Torque which was >>1 Nm and the indicator still showed 0 / -0 ... So it should not be a Rounding-Error...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,411 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author neffets39

Hi,

the Problem has been solved. In the Burster Instrument Driver, there is one vi, which is called "conversion factor" or so. This factor was saved to 0, which is why the indicated value was +-0. I set the conversion factor to 1 and the shown value is correct!

Thank you for your help!

Kind Regards

Steffen Kaupmann

Message 8 of 9
(3,365 Views)

Hi,

I searched whole internet for answer about the Burster8661, which I see you're using in your code..  

I try to communicate with Burster 8661 USB and LabView 2017. Installed the BursterInstrument Drivers, and labview library, but when runing the example provided byu burster the whole Labview stalls and has to be force-quit. I can't find a reason as the program does not report anything at all. Does anybody got this sensor work with LabView in version later than 2014?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,918 Views)