LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing weird symbols and letter instead of my datas

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello guys, I'm fancing some troubles with LabView.

First of all, I'm new here and using LabView, I will try to put all the information here.

To my problem

I'm trying to use Labview to collect datas (conductance) from a digital multimeter to my undergraduate thesis, connected with serial cable + adapter to USB.

A friend sent me a VI file to make this process much easier but something is getting wrong, every time that I try to get some data, instead of conductance numbers I recive weird symbols and letters (everytime is different).
I'm sending the VI and some screnshots

My version is 2013

Thanks from a poor Brazilian who just want to graduate hahahahhaha

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32
(4,528 Views)
  1. The "bytes at port" method is always the wrong choice 99% of the cases
  2. Could you specify the exact brand + model of this digital multimeter? I guess it has a manual? I guess the manual specifies how to communicate with the device, now I am specially interested in the so called termination character.
  3. So, RTFM! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 32
(4,522 Views)

First, the word is data.  It is already plural so you do not add an "s" to the end.  The singular, i.e. a single point of data, is know as a datum.

What you are seeing binary data.  Instead of something human readable like letters or numbers, you are getting bytes that represent other symbols or even non-printable control characters in the ASCII table.  What you need to find out is how the data is being sent.  Is it bytes representing integers, or floating point values?

If you are getting binary data, then you do not want to use the Serial Configure VI with the terminal character enabled.  The default values with nothing wired are Enabled and line feed.  Because if you get a line feed character (ASCII 10) in the middle of a stream of meaningful data, the VISA read will end with that byte.

You do not want to use Bytes at Port.  99% of the time, that property node should not be used.  If you were getting human readable data that had a linefeed character separating messages, then you just use a large number, larger than the longest message you expect to read, wired into the VISA Read.

If you are expecting binary data, like the characters appear to be, it is difficult to tell you exactly what to do.  You'll have to read the manual for the device.  Sometimes it is just reading a fixed number of characters.  Sometimes you might have to look for special start and stop binary codes, or bytes that represent how many data bytes follow.  But you have to read the manual to know what the protocol is for the data being sent.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 32
(4,518 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Always, or in 99% of the cases? Which is it?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 32
(4,483 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

Always, or in 99% of the cases? Which is it?

/Y

I would say it is closer to 97%.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 32
(4,464 Views)

My professor gave me this multimeter to use in my thesis and he don't know where is the manual 😞 and I found nothing on internet.

-Model: ET-2800

-Brand: Minipa (Brazilian brand)

I gonna ask the manual to the fabricant

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 32
(4,456 Views)

I didn't know about "datum", Thanks 😄

I'm gonna check what you said. Thanks a lot again

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 32
(4,453 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

First, the word is data.  It is already plural so you do not add an "s" to the end.  The singular, i.e. a single point of data, is know as a datum.

Unless "Data" is your name.  Then it is appropriate to refer to more than one Data as "Datas".  And, in fact, this has happened, if only on a TV show.  😉

Hey, maybe "datas" is a two-dimensional array of data.  😉

Hey, senoura9 -  I'm not making fun of your English error when English isn't even your first language.  Rather, I was having some fun with the English language, itself.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 32
(4,421 Views)

I've always found it difficult to hear sentences such as "The data are showing ....".  I will always say  "The data is showing ....".

I know technically "data" is a plural word, but I don't visualize it as a quantity of individual entities, but as a singular entity that represents a group that may be countable or not countable.

But the word "datas" doesn't exist.  As for "Datas", was there ever an episode of Star Trek where Commander Data was replicated?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 32
(4,418 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

But the word "datas" doesn't exist.  As for "Datas", was there ever an episode of Star Trek where Commander Data was replicated?

not really, but in a sense he is the replication of lore.

there was one, who wanted to try, but data said that he does not know his stuff and declined 😉

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 32
(4,410 Views)