LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show time running on a picture

I it possible to show an integer value in a picture. I have created a program that creates, shows, and records a .avi file for x amount of time. Is it possible to display x on the picture as the picture runs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,453 Views)

Could you overlap a simple numeric control with a transparent background and border? There is a performance hit when overlapping.

I have attached an example where a numeric indicator sits on top of a string indicator.

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,421 Views)

It is (or, better, "used to be") possible to write an arbitrary text string to each frame of an AVI file (at the time you write the file).  We've used this functionality to display auxilliary information with each frame.  However, when I opened LabVIEW 2012 to actually look at IMAQ AVI Write and "be sure I knew what I was talking about", I discovered that IMAQ AVI Write (with its data input connector) was missing, having been replaced with IMAQ AVI2 Write.  Turns out that NI Update had installed the NI 2012 SP1 Vision updates, which replaced all of the IMAQ AVI functions with IMAQ AVI2 functions.  A "Known Issue" with AVI2 is that "it does not support writing extra data to AVIs".

Of course, there is another way.  You could make an image of the information you want to display, and then do some "image processing" to overlay your information on the underlying AVI.  This has the advantage that it allows you to stick the information on after the AVI has been created, make it any size/shape/color you want, and it doesn't even need to be text (it could be another "image").

Both these solutions have the virtue that the information is embedded in the AVI, so you don't need LabVIEW in order to see it -- just play the movie.  Of course, if you're viewing it in LabVIEW, just pop an indicator up and show the information (but you knew that ...).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,420 Views)

I took my time stamp and converted it to a string and then connected that to to the data input on my AVI write (I still have 2011). However the string will not show. How do I get it to show on the actual video?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,376 Views)

The short comings of the AVI2 vi cost me over 3 hours work, first wire the work, and then replace all the vi's with the original avi function.  I was not amused!

The original AVI suite of vi's are still available.  Look under

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\vision\Avi.llb (Avi1.llb and Avi2.llb)

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,320 Views)