LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show a pop-up message like "About" message when user presses a button without stopping the VI

Hello, 

I think the title explains it all. Show a pop-up message like "About" message when user presses a button without stopping the VI

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,740 Views)

Hi idir,

when you want to run two things in parallel you need to program them in parallel!

In LabVIEW and its THINK DATAFLOW paradigm this translates into "without data dependencies"…

Use two parallel loops to handle both your button/dialog and the remaining parts of your VI!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,737 Views)

I don't want to use two loops. Just one and it's a must. Is there any other way?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,726 Views)

You can use the Asynchronous Call.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,711 Views)

Find more information in the "Find Examples" Dialog from the Help- Menu.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,703 Views)

You should go ahead and create a VI that displays your about text and some buttons (like ok) and set it to have modal display properties (VI properties can be accessed by menu, or with the shortcut Ctrl-i, you in particular want it to open and close when it starts/stops) then use the Asynchronous Call node that Crossrulz mentioned.

A simple VI could be an Event Structure with an empty case for the value change event for the ok button, and a string indicator. Adding a string control to the connector pane, hiding it, and wiring it directly to the indicator (outside of the event structure) allows you to reuse the VI with other text too.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,688 Views)