cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show VI from another VI as a popup dialog

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I have a beginner question. I created a VI which displays some data, and I have an Edit button to edit the selected data. When I press the Edit button, I want to show another VI, preferrably as a modal dialog. How to do this?

Thanks, Csaba 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,584 Views)

1. go to vi properties (CTRL+I)

2.Select "window apprearence" from the "categoty" drop down list box

3.Hit the "customize" button

4.Put a check mark on "Show front panel when called", "Close afterwards if originally closed"

5.Select "Modal" radio button under "window behaviour"

6.Hit the OK button.

1.GIF

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,582 Views)

OK but how to display the second VI after a click the button? I tried making a case structure, and into True I've dragged the second VI. As a result I have the second VI appear/disappear every 100 ms (because the main VI is inside a while loop with a 100 ms delay). I thought that it would appear only when I click the button...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,575 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gcsaba2

Do you have a button wired to the case structure? Remember that the button has to be inside the whileloop also. If you have done all this I think that you have the wrong mechanical action on your button. Right-click the button and select latch when released ( I think this is the correct one. I'm reinstalling LV now otherwise I would have given you an example). Correct me if I'm worng on the switch/latch thingySmiley Happy

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,571 Views)

That helped 🙂 By default it was Latch when pressed. I also had to add a While loop to the second VI, I somehow assumed that it will get included into the parent's while loop because it's a modal window.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,567 Views)

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Also check out this video about popup dialogues and this community group: https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/ui

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,561 Views)