LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we install LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit?

Hello,

all our PCs run Windows 7 64bit.

So we're considering to install LabVIEW 64-bit, but we're afraid we could run into issues.

For example, a lot of NI packages won't work, for example the NI MAX:

National Instruments Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 7

And what about our older projects containing 32bit drivers and DLLs as dependencies?

What is your recommendation?

Should we go for LabVIEW 64-bit or stick to the 32-bit version?

Thanks,

Dietmar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,253 Views)

Hi Dietmar,

when your old projects use 32 bit DLLs (and maybe ActiveX components only available as 32bit) you should stick with LabVIEW-32bit.

The 64bit version is valuable for bigger data issues as it can utilize more memory. That's it (mainly), no other advantages to expect…

You can also talk to NI support for such topics, just call them!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,237 Views)

My feeling is that unless you need to use LabVIEW 64-bit for processing lots of data in memory where you start hitting the 32-bit limitation, you're better off sticking with 32-bit for now. It'll make things less complicated...

Your programs will run on both 64-bit and 32-bit targets

Better compatibility with LV toolkits (as you've said)

Less potential issues with drivers / external code

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,232 Views)

Well, just for doomsaying:

There will be some time in the (distant) future where 32bits application will not run anymore on modern OSes.

That being said, you should try to get familiar with 64bit LV somewhere in the (near) future. I recommend that way for new applications.

Existing applications can stick with 32bits of course, you know: never touch a running system.

But honestly: If you already swapped to 64bit OS, you already have 64bit hardware drivers (32bits dont work). So if hardware interaction is your concern, there is no reason to use 32bit LV anymore.

If toolkits, external applications like ActiveX and DLLs are your concern, staying with 32bits sounds wise.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,210 Views)

I mostly just stick with the 32-bit just because I don't know where my applications are going.  Some are still going on XP machines.  So I will stick with 32-bit for a little bit longer.  Maybe after a couple more years I will start making 64-bit applications.  Eventually, LabVIEW will only be 64-bit.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,195 Views)

The page you linked says nothing about NI MAX.  MAX is supported on Windows 7 64-bit.  The DAQ drivers, that are more important than max, are also supported on 64-bit Windows 7.  There are some older devices that are not.  But, you can find those in the DAQmx readme.

Norbert, isn't it a tad disingenuous to claim users should be moving towards 64-bit when there are many toolkits that are only offered for the 32-bit installation?  There will also be a time in the (distant) future when 64-bit applications will no longer run on a modern OS.  But, that's also not likely to take place during the lifecycle of this decision.

Norbert likely has a better idea of where NI support is heading.  As of now, I've had 64-bit installed but only ever used it for a single application.  It became more frustrating to find toolkits that worked with 64-bit than I was gaining computational power.  In most applications, the computational gain is negligible.  As a result, I stick with 32-bit.  It really comes down to your application.  Is it going to be intense or is it a typical application?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,178 Views)

So what does this mean?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,127 Views)

MAX 4.6.2. is somewhere about 4 or even more years old. Current version of MAX is 14.x.

You should update your drivers (including MAX) if using 64bit for your applications.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,121 Views)