From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should font size change with 2D picture size?

Using 'draw text at point' functions, I've found font heights in mm's don't correspond with what they should be for a given point size on different screens. I scaled the picture to fit different screens, so do fonts change size even when the point size is specified?!

For example a 400 point Arial E should be 141.1 mm high, but it's either 59 or 75 mm depending on the monitor.

Confused.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,954 Views)

Not font changes it size, but size of point in mm is different on different devices.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,914 Views)

Thanks. Why is font size different for different devices? Or more importantly, is there a parameter I can read and use to adjust my font size for different monitors?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,820 Views)

You can detect the screen resolution of a display, but not the physical dimensions, so font size isn't something you can really adjust them accurately.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,816 Views)

LabVIEW uses strange font sizes (see here for details, but also read the comments).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,809 Views)

Thanks altenbach. I've read through that thread and variously online, and thought if LabVIEW assumes 72 DPI and I know the DPI of my monitor I could simply scale accordingly. That doesn't seem to be the case. Not sure why. Or why different fonts are widly different.

My aim is to display a font of known size in the centre of the screen (sounds simple enough!). I've attached my efforts and welcome any suggestions or comments.

Many thanks

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,728 Views)