LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use .INI or .XML config files on cRIO?

I have a cRIO SCADA Reference design that includes a xls workbook template that allow the definition of all IO channels (tag name, physical location, scaling, filtering, ZOFS, etc)

In addition the reference design comes with a tool to import this workbook, edit it, compile to GXML and the download to cRIO using a NSV based communication link.

If you are coming to NIWEEK you can learn about it in my presentation:

NASA Launch Vehicle Hydro-Dynamic Suspension System – Examine a case study in large-scale SCADA system architecture using CompactRIO, LabVIEW, IEEE 1588 time synchronization and extensive HMI visualization

If you cannot make it to NIWEEK, I can send you a link in a few days to the reference design.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(937 Views)

One more thing... If NSV comm links are not your cup of tea, the tools also provide ftp based deployment of cRIO gxml configuration files.

The NSV method is used for 'on-the-fly' modification of config files without requiring a cRIO reboot.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(932 Views)
Sa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(928 Views)

Sachsm,

Your system looks very interesting. I will not be able to make it to NI Week this year (trying for next year). I would be interesting in the link.

Question on your use of NSVs.

Are you opening the XML file on the Host Computer, loading the values into NSVs, then the cRIO reads the NSVs? Or are you sendingthe XML data over a NSV?

As far as needing to reboot ther cRIO controller when updating config values, I'm thinking I could put a case in the Action Engine module that is "reload config values". This would work for cases such as updating TC offset values. It might be a little more difficult to re-initialize something like a Network Stream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(925 Views)

The reference design has 3 parts, cRIO framework, HMI framework and a Windows based Instrumentation Manager (IM).

The IM load the xls file and compiles to gxml, which is then ftp'd to the cRIO.  A NSV Queue (NSVQ) messaging link informs the cRIO

that a new configuration file has been downloaded.  The cRIO framework has the smarts to digest this gmxl and rebuild a table

that is stored in a action engine that is used to provide lower level mechanisms with such things as scaling and filtering settings.

Zero Offsets (ZOFS) have an additional mechanism that works side by side with the larger configuration.  ZOFS can be managed in the IM or

in the HMI providing the ability to right click on a tag and set its ZOFS.  This gets transfered via the NSVQ to the cRIO which updates a persistant

ZOFS store.  Also the HMI keeps a local history of ZOFS's that can be restored.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(922 Views)

Sachsm,

Can you post a link to your NI Week presentation?

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(900 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(896 Views)

Unable to open, I get this message:

"It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake."

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(894 Views)

It appears you need to join the NIWEEk group.  I sent you an invitation.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(890 Views)

Just downloaded it. Wow, there is a lot there, wish i could have been at the presentation. Looks very cool, will spend some time going through the Ref. Design.

Thanks!

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(888 Views)