cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I 'update' my LabVIEW version?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi folks,

I have a LabVIEW 8.5.1 version and I work largely with PXI-1033 and its related FPGA, should I update my current version for better performance, user-friendly nature and ofcourse functionalities? 

If so, is there a significant cost associated with this upgrade?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,404 Views)

NI do their best to make sure the upgrade process is smooth and invisible, ie that you encounter no issues. There are tremendous benefits to be gained, specifically in the IDE for FPGA development, to upgrading to the latest (2012 SP1 at this time).

If you wish to try this then download the evaluation and give it a go. Through this you will be able to see if the project will upgrade without any issues, and the improvements available to you in the development enviroment. Most importantly perhaps is the latest compiler associated with the latest release, which may (or may not, try it to see) show reduced compilation times and improved slice usage.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,381 Views)

Thanks for the reply, where would I download this and would there be any cost associated with this?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,378 Views)
The 30 day evaluation is free.
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,373 Views)

@RedAG wrote:

Thanks for the reply, where would I download this and would there be any cost associated with this?

If you do upgrade, it isn't free.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,368 Views)

@RedAG wrote:

Do a search from the NI home site for "LabVIEW 2012 download".  There should be a link at the top.  The eval is free.  You might have to talk to your NI Rep to get the trial extended.  If you kept up the SSP, then upgrading is free.  Otherwise, talk to your NI rep to get a quote.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,363 Views)

Thanks for the reply folks.

crossrulz, what is an SSP?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,346 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedAG

@RedAG wrote:

Thanks for the reply folks.

crossrulz, what is an SSP?

It's an annual service plan that NI offers.  If you always want the latest, you can save a lot of money that way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,336 Views)

Thanks for all the reply guys/girls.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,333 Views)