LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift Register Similar with Digital Logic

Hi there folks. I found some similar stuff on the forums, but after much time implementing and searching, I figured I would ask the pro's.

I have a digital shift register that I am trying to implement.  I would really like to have a "real time clock running" as in I would like to be able to see my clock running (hi to low to hi to low) and watch the register run real time (not in microseconds as it really does).  I.E. I would like to maybe have my simulated pulse width be around 1 second so I can watch the bits travel through the register.  To give you an idea of what my shift register looks like, I have attached a diagram.  As I have been trying to implement this, I can get a for loop to iterate one time and pass the data on to the next block...great, but I need each register to keep iterating (infinately) and keep passing on data.

I hope I am being clear.  But I am trying to implement this serial shift register so that I can find failure points in it (i.e. what happens if the register near the bottom gets a grounded input).  Thanks for your help!

Message Edited by Adma on 07-06-2006 01:53 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,894 Views)
Also, if I can get it off the top of the board, that would be good, didn't mean to do that. Thanks mods.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,882 Views)

Adma:

Is there something missing in the image? There is no feedback between the Q outputs and the D inputs on each successive stage.

No need to apologize about your post going to the top of the board, they do that automatically. The most recent activity automatically floats to the top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,879 Views)
Here is a quick labview VI that I created - is this similar to what you are trying to implement? You can easily modify the clock to be automatic instead of manual, but this should at least give you an idea of how this can be implemented in LabVIEW. This was written in LV 8 - what version of LV do you have?

Logan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,868 Views)
Yes sir, actually there is a parallel latch for the output of each shift register.  Here is the full diagram:

Thanks for the speedy replies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,862 Views)
That is pretty close to what I need, as I try to get the flip flops to update with the clock, nothing is really happening...sorry to be a noob, but whats going on?  I expeced as I pass data and hit clock, it will update?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,860 Views)
Logan your example is fantastic.  Quick question.  First off As I said before I am not really getting the flip flop to transfer the data.  Also, why do you have "shift registers" set up with the while loop connection to the shift pins, but neither passing anything in or out; thanks this is a new area of LV for me and I am using Version 8
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,853 Views)
It's a functional global variable.  That is not the best description, but will give you a general idea of how they can be used.  Breifly, they exploit a hidden feature of shift registers and how they are initialized.  When a sub-vi has an unitialized shift register and is called multiple times, it is uses the value from the previous time the sub-vi was called.  They have a lot of advantages, but can be quite mystifying to the newbies.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,846 Views)
Thank you so much, it is working fantastically.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,826 Views)
Can I have this thread deleted or moved off the top of the list
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,774 Views)