From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared variable to grab data from remote PC with DAQMX

All

I have a computer A where I've connected my DAQmx to gather data from my electronics. It's got MAX installed.
I am trying to get the data from A to my computer. I created 4 virtual global channels on A. I created 4 shared variables on B and bound them to the 4 channels.
Then I selected lookout OPC on server explorer. I can see the values streaming there but when I try to drop the shared variable in a VI and read it's value, I don't see anything. Can someone help me on this ?

I am trying this method since NI does not support RDA for DAQ MX 😞

Thanks

Kudos are the best way to say thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,258 Views)

Good afternoon,

I’m not exactly sure why you aren’t receiving the data.  I am a little uncertain as to the exact setup you are attempting to create, so let me see if I get this right:

You have a computer performing DAQ.  This computer is doing DAQ with LabVIEW and you are writing the data to a shared variable.  The shared variable set up on the DAQ computer is network bound and you are writing to some server item.  Your client computer has a shared variable and is bound as a reader to the same server item.  You can open and view the data on the client computer so you know that the data can be streamed to the client computer.

If this is the case, there should be no problems with reading the data on the client computer provided that the shared variable reading from the server is also network bound, is of the EXACT same type as the server variable, and is bound to the exact same server item.  If your client computer is using a built executable, you will need to deploy your shared variable before using.

If you are doing something different (for example binding a waveform control to the NI Shared Variable Engine through the “properties->Data Binding” options) please clarify.  If you have any additional information on the problem also please let us know.

Hope this helps-

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,248 Views)
Hi All-

It looks like Travis was on the right track with the datatypes being a mis-match.  Maximus' more detailed discussion about NI-DAQmx OPC connectivity with the LabVIEW Shared Variable is available here.
Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,243 Views)