LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Variables and Executables, problem located

I'm attacking the shared variable for the first time, and have hit some major problems.
I started out writing a small test-program, writing data out to several simple Shared Variables.
Then I connected to these from a 3-party OPC software test-program.
The problem was that I could only get into contact with 4 datatypes from LabVIEW
(Double, String, Boolean and UInt32). All the 20 other were simply not visible on
the client side.

At this point, I din't know if the problem was on the LabVIEW/NI side
or on the software from the 3. party side.

Then I came across a simple example from NI on the net,
for writing and reading some simple shared variables, a Boolean and a Double.
When compiling and running this, success (after setting the folder-name for the lvlib).
But then I converted the Double into an array of Double, compiled and run; no success. Only the
Boolean gets over, not the arrray. This rewritten example is attached. It's for LabVIEW 8.01.
Note that the problem is only present for the executable version, not the source code.
If anybody can help on the right path on this one, I would be very happy.
(You might have to fiddle around to get the deployment to work ok regarding
the folder of the lvlib).

When I open the ServerExplorer and checks out the data available also,
I am not able to find any of the missing data there. Seems to me there's something
wrong here...

Doesn't Shared Variables work with more than Double, String, Boolean and UInt32 ? :mansurprised:

Martin  :manhappy:
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,117 Views)
I have investigated this further now, and it seems like a bug from 8.01 that has been fixed in 8.20.
If I write the Reader and Writer of the shared Variables from within LabVIEW, the problem is not
visible/present, and all data are transferred Ok in 8.01. BUT, the datatypes except from Double, String,
Boolean and UInt32 are not present/visible in the ServerExplorer. This is also why external OPC
clients cannot see the other datatypes.

If I set up the same program in LabVIEW 8.20, all datatypes are visible in the ServerExplorer,
and hence also for external OPC clients.

Martin
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,090 Views)