From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of Robotics for Tracks not Wheels

I am tasked with writing the controls for a autonomous robot using a cRIO to control a BobCat.  I developed a prototype on an electric wheelchair base.

My issues:

1. The wheel chair robot is simple:  Two Fixed Wheels with Differential steering
  2. The Bobcat has tracks which have about 8' of contact with the ground.  I have searched high and low for even a mention of tracks instead of wheels and can't find anything.  the SD6 just treats them as round wheels which for its size is fine. my main question is that if I treat it as a round wheel where is the "point of contact"?  Intuitively I think can move depending on a lot of variable.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,161 Views)

I would think it to be simple, actually.  "Casual" logic suggests that all calculations are made from the center of the contact patch.  Probably the most important thing is to know is the size of the tracks.  Then treat the tracks as wheels of the same size.  I don't know if this works.  the easiest thing to do, I guess, is to try it out.  🙂  Well, maybe on a scale model.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,141 Views)

Well I agree that it will work to some degree.  It would be cool if there was a white paper on the topic.  Hopefully I am over thinking it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,130 Views)