LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set default to Classic style control/indicator

Is it possible to set default to "classic style" control/indicator so that when I create a control/indicator from the block diagram, I will have a classic style control/indicator on the front panel?

Somehow, I still like the classic style control/indicator more. Many times, after I create a control/indicator from the block diagram, I have to replace the new style control/indicator with a classic style control/indicator from the front panel. It can be done, but it would be nice if I can create what I want from the block diagram directly.

Thanks.

Ian Ren
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,586 Views)
In LabVIEW 7, you can set this through the Options setup. Look in the Front Panel page of the Options and there is a selection for Control Style for New VIs. Just select Classic Style. This will only affect new VIs. It will not change the behavior of any exsisting VIs. (I think)

On other versions, it is not settable, but you can trick it into doing what you want. If the first item placed on the front panel is of the Classic style, everything else after that will be classic also unless you place a 3D style yourself. Then it will revert back to using the 3D items. So if you use a template with a classic style control to start with, you should be OK. Note: This rule does not apply to LabVIEW 7, it will use whatever is specified in the Options regaurdless o
f what was placed first.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 2 of 7
(3,586 Views)

I am using LabVIEW 8.5.  I changed to classic style through option but it does not work for new VIs.  I started LabVIEW but that didn't help either.  I also like the classic style and would like to default it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,211 Views)

Can you explain what you mean by "does not work"? What exactly do you expect after setting this option?

Typically it will only work for primitives. If you do a create control/indicator on a subVI, you'll get the style that the subVI has. 

Message Edited by altenbach on 03-25-2010 08:29 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,208 Views)

Well, if I set the control/indicator style to classic as a default, then expect it to create control/Incidcatior in new VI in Classic style.  When I create a New VI then try to place indictor/control is still default to modern style. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,203 Views)

Well, to manually place a classic control, you would just go to the classic palette, no settings needed. 😉

Have you read the detailed help for this option? Maybe it's not exactly what you think it is.

"Control Style for Create Control/Indicator—Changes the style of the control or indicator LabVIEW creates when you right-click a terminal and select Create»Control or Create»Indicator from the shortcut menu."

Message 6 of 7
(3,199 Views)

This behavior is annoying and is still present in LV 2011: create an indicator or a control by selecting the output or input of a Function or a subVI present on your diagram, and the indicator/control will adopt the default style of that Function/subVI: for most functions, it will be the Modern style (presumably because they were recompiled/rewritten after the Modern Style was introduced. There is certain logic to this, but it is conflicting with the idea of the expectations of the "Control Style for New VI". It is especially frustrating when the created object is complex and there is no simple way to change its style: for instance an array, for which you have to update both the "Array" itself and the object inside. Even worse with clusters...

I would suggest replacing that restrictive option to a "Control Style for New Controls".

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,923 Views)