LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Time VI from NI System Configuration in RT Utilities

Hello All,

This is a two part question, both with regard to the Set Time VI from NI System Configuration in the RT Utilities pallet.

First, what is the format/sytax needed to input "time zone" into the Set Time VI?  I've tried EST, GMT-4, UTC-4 and a handfull of other ones.  The help menu has absolutely no detailed information at all, and is quite useless.  I know the RT target needs to have NI-TimeSync loaded onto it in order for this VI to work, which it has.  I also know that the format of  Etc/GMT-4 works when using NI-TimeSync V2.0 (I've learned from another project).  I'm using NI-TimeSync 1.1.2 currently.  NI-TimeSynce 2.0 needs dependency updates which breaks my application as currently coded.  So this leads me to my next question...

Second, which version of NI-TimeSync includes this time zone setting operation?  Again, I can't upgrade to 2.0 at the moment, since I need to keep the current code running.

cRIO=NI-9014

LV Version 2012

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,449 Views)

Hi AMP12,

The Set Time VI uses TZ database syntax, as linked via the detailed help for the function (refer to the "time zone" string input description).  The easiest-to-interpret list I've found of these is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

I'm not 100% sure what your second question is here- are you wondering what the earliest release of NI System Configuration is that includes the Set Time VI?

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,440 Views)

Thanks for passing on the link.  My detailed help section doesn't have any links to any other information about time zone inputs at all!  Apparently something in out of date on my system.  I also Googled it and searched NI.com without any luck, so again, thanks.

My second question I was forced to answer myself by trial and error.  NI-TimeSync Version 1.1.5 and 2.0 will let you set the time zone on a NI-9014 cRIO.  Versions 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 do not.  I believe the Set Time VI is new to LV 2013, and LV 2012 had older time VI version (that I can't find on my pallet right now...), and NI-TimeSync doesn't have anything to do with them in the dev enviro, but allows them to work on the RIO. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,412 Views)

Hi AMP12,

Good to know about TimeSync- also, if needed you can access the old RT utility VIs in vi.lib or by copying them from an existing project- they've been removed from the palettes but are still present for backwards compatability.  Refer to this KnowledgeBase for more information:

KnowledgeBase 631E785A:Why am I Missing VIs From the Real-Time Utilities Palette?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EBE55BBD32B7CF7D86257AAA0059071E

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,409 Views)