cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Date and Time - 5 Week Month Doesn't Show Last Line

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm working with Labview 9.0 (32-bit) on Windows 7 with a 125% system font size. When I open the Set Time and Date dialogue box, months with five lines of days cause the window to cut the last line in half. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried messing around with picktime.vi in [LabVIEW]\resource\dialog\, but it won't change the dialogue box (and I'm told that it's not supposed to?).

I can't upgrade to a new version (my company only recently upgraded to Labview 2009, and wants to keep it for stability reasons) and I can't change the system font size because 125% is the standard. Someone suggested changing the font sizes in Environment to be smaller, but I can't do that either - I need the current font size.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,707 Views)

I don't think you are going to be able to.

You said you can't change the font size from 125%, that it is "the standard".  Whose standard?  The Normal setting for Windows is 96dpi.

I know I had problems in the past when we used an older NI program written in LabVIEW.  Because we used it on a Laptop with a small screen, I wanted to have a larger Windows setting to make text readable.  But it would cause problems because the layout of the front panel and location of buttons and such were based on a "normal" Windows setting.  What would happen with a Large setting is that buttons would grow and start overlapping.

LabVIEW is a program where changes from the default Windows settings aren't often handled very well.  If the Time/Date dialog is based on a LabVIEW VI like it appears to be, then I'm not surprised using a different setting will cause problems.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,701 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Spaaace

I have intercepted the Browse button on a path control before, this is very similar.  Trap the Mouse Down? events which land inside the time picker button and call your modified VI instead of letting the control handle it.  The simple bounds I find works for the browse button in the default location on the right side of the control (anywhere on the right side in fact).  If you move it to the left hand side, or below, or above you may need to adjust the calculation.  Those blue properties are scripting in case you are wondering.

NewTimePicker.png

Message 3 of 9
(2,693 Views)

My company's standard is now 125% for system font size. Because of larger displays and higher resolutions, they decided to go up from the 100% that we were using before. And that's apparently messed with a bunch of the older programs that were built with the 100% system font size.

So there's no way of changing the window size of that dialogue box? What does picktime.vi actually correlate to then?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,691 Views)

Hi Spaaace,

I know you said you don't want to change the font settings in environment, but that seems to be the only direct way of solving this issue.

Here is a link to the Knowledge Base article about changing the size of various parts of LabVIEW.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F9B8974821AFAF9C862578FF00519A52

The one you want to change for this particular case is Application Font. This will change many of the fonts in LabVIEW, so it's not a perfect solution, but it does appear to solve your problem.

Regards,

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,663 Views)

Thanks, Darin - I've been trying to use your method, but I can't find those timestamp properties or the function that they eventually lead to. I've searched through availible properties, but I can't find them anywhere. Are they standard or do I have to mess with the .ini file for Labview to even see them?

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this - I had to work on another project and just recently finished. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,642 Views)

Probably hidden in my previous post, those Blue properties are scripting related.  In LV9 you have to download and activate to use them.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-apis

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,639 Views)

Okay, I installed the scripting development toolkit and I have the extra time stamp properties now. Where can I find the white subVI with a rectangle in the icon? (this is turning into a strange quest of epic proportions by now 😛 spent 1.5 hours on the phone just activating scripting license)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,613 Views)

You can actually drag and drop the picture above from an Internet Explorer browser window (won't work in Firefox, to my knowledge) directly onto your block diagram, and all the components you see will be there. To answer you more directly, the VI is PointInRect.vi, found in <vi.lib>\picture\PictureSupport.llb

Edit: I'm referring to NewTimePicker.png above. This feature is called VI Snippets (see the LabVIEW Help). SubVIS are not actually embedded in the .png file, so whatever subVIs are linked need to exist on your disk (such as PictureSupport.llb within vi.lib, in this case).

Message 9 of 9
(2,608 Views)