From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial port with no stop bit

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to communicate with a MODBUS slave through RS232, and the documentation for the slave specifies that there should be no stop bit. As far as I can tell, Labivew doesn't let you configure a serial port with no stop bit. Is there some way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,711 Views)

It might be worthwhile taking a look at one of the MODBUS libraries available for LabVIEW. They probably have built-in handling for several MODBUS-specific issues.

One library is built in if you have either the "DSC Module or Real-Time Module", according to the help files.

Others include LabVIEW-Modbus-API or the older MODBUS Library for LabVIEW.

The first of those links provides an overview of some of the others, copied below (original author is smithd):

Modbus is a commonly used protocol for industrial communication. At present, National Instruments provides four options for Modbus connectivity.

(1) Modbus I/O server, available through the LabVIEW Real-Time Module or the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control (DSC) Module.which provides a high-level API for accessing Modbus data. Learn more at Connect LabVIEW to Any PLC With Modbus

(2) A free Modbus library available for download which is very low-level, and provides control over Modbus not offered by I/O servers at the expense of the connection management and request scripting offered by that higher-level API. **This Library is Unsupported**

(3) This NI Labs Modbus API release which is intended as a replacement and expansion of the free Modbus library functionality. **This Library is Unsupported**

(4) The Modbus API available through the LabVIEW Real-Time Module or the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control (DSC) Module. This is a version of the NI Labs Modbus API which is now supported and maintained by National Instruments R&D.

In addition, an NI Alliance Partner SAPHIR has two released LabVIEW add-on products called ModBusVIEW over TCP and ModBusVIEW over Serial available on the LabVIEW Tools Network.

GCentral
Message 2 of 11
(3,696 Views)

Hi Tristan,

mind to name that slave and attach (or link to) the manual?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,694 Views)

Thank you for your reply. It's a Lytron recirculating chiller, manual attached. The relevant information is on page 28.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,685 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Tristan,

mind to name that slave and attach (or link to) the manual?

Oh, no Problem!  I'll just shake the reliable 8-Ball and

~~~~Outlook uncertain~~~~

OK, I cross posted with the OP  ( How did I miss That!  Silly 8-Ball needs to be re calibrated)

8,none,&1 is the default for RS-232 but you seem to be describing a MODBUS-RTU via ethernet?  What is the PHY layer?  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,683 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I'm using RS232, not ethernet. My problem is with the number of stop bits, which can only be 1, 1.5, or 2, as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,662 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TristanSullivan

What you are missing is that the manual is wrong and needs editing.  You can't have a serial communication without a stop bit.

8-n-1  means 8 data bits,  No parity, 1 stop bit.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,645 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TristanSullivan

Could the manual have a typo?

19.2,N,8,1

would normally mean Baud=19.2, No Parity, 8 Data, 1 stop

I have never come across No stop bit!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,643 Views)

Thank you! That worked. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,638 Views)

Hint: you can have mark more than one replay as a solution.  I can see at least one other post that deserves a solution - and it came before the one you marked.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,603 Views)