From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial manage of an autobuild board.

Hello everyone,
I have to manage a DAC (dac714 TI) by labview and by a serial port.
I would know if after the correct connections of the pins (by
datasheets)
I could use the VISA tools to manage it directly or if I have to write
a driver however.

Thank you,
Perseo
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,523 Views)
Hi Perseo,

I was looking to DAC714.pdf from BURR BROWN - and expect that your Chip is in fact the same. This chip needs a kind of SPI (serial parallel interface) because you have to manage 5 Inputs (clk,SDI,/A0,/A1,/CLR);the SDO is for sure not of interest in your case. From my point of view I would use the parallel port.
Find attached an EXCEL sheet with copied front-panel and diagram of an small program I made for MAX168 (12bit ADC) using the paraport. The scope-picture was taken at a PIII - 450MHz machine(Win98). On W2k or NT
the performance is 2-3x slower. If you have further questions .... have a look to the diagram; there you will find one of my email - adresses. Hope that this gives some basic ideas. If you really need to use the serial COM - por
t you will have to use some more hardware, because you need to split the 16 Bit into parts .............. From Natinst position it is for sure clear: buy a board...........( not my opinion - but it depends .............)

regards
wha
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,523 Views)
Thanks Wha for reply I rated it.

Yes, you're right I think it's better to manage it by a parallel port, but as you could see in the datasheet there's only one pin for data input.
So the problem on the Hardware side is how to connect the parport's pin to it and on labview's side how does write this 16 bit to it.
For example if I want 5.50 V by my DAC (range must be 0-10 V).
Any advices will be appreciated.

Perseo
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,523 Views)
Hi Perseo,

I was looking to DAC714.pdf from BURR BROWN - and expect that your Chip is in fact the same. This chip needs a kind of SPI (serial parallel interface) because you have to manage 5 Inputs (clk,SDI,/A0,/A1,/CLR);the SDO is for sure not of interest in your case. From my point of view I would use the parallel port.
Find attached an EXCEL sheet with copied front-panel and diagram of an small program I made for MAX168 (12bit ADC) using the paraport. The scope-picture was taken at a PIII - 450MHz machine(Win98). On W2k or NT
the performance is 2-3x slower. If you have further questions .... have a look to the diagram; there you will find one of my email - adresses. Hope that this gives some basic ideas. If you really need to use the serial COM -
port you will have to use some more hardware, because you need to split the 16 Bit into parts .............. From Natinst position it is for sure clear: buy a board...........( not my opinion - but it depends .............)

regards
wha
Message 3 of 4
(2,523 Views)