LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication from NMITerm to LabView

I have a Resonance Instruments microwave that I'm trying to control through serial interface using LabView.  I have controlled other serial devices for testing using the basic serial write and read vi example and I can control the microwave using NMITerm terminal I received from Resonance.  But for some reason I can't get the microwave to communication with LabView.

The microwave uses the standard settings of 9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control.  Using the NMITerm I can enter the example string of "T005P025O", where T is for time, 005 is five seconds, P is for setting the power, 025 is the requested watts and O starts the microwave.  The string does not require a carriage return to start.  As soon as I typed "O" the microwave begins heating.  I can also type the letter "R" to get the current microwave settings, again no carriage return is required.  Type R and up comes the settings.

I have attached a screen capture of the terminal page. 

I can't figure out what I'm missing  in LabView or the basic serial write and Read VI.  I have tried sending the string with and without the preceeding "/" and with a number of different suffix combinations including "O\n", "O\r\n" with no luck.

Is there a specific setting I need to change for the string ending in "O" instead R for the standard carriage return?  Or am I missing another setting?

Thanks for the help.

Danny
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,727 Views)

Danny,

Post your code so someone can take a peek.

Also suggest that you fire up NISpy and log the actual data that the NMITerm program is sending to the instrument.

Message Edited by Wayne.C on 06-16-2009 11:18 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,725 Views)
If you are using '\' codes your control\constant must be set in that modus. Right click on the string item and select '\' codes display

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,715 Views)

Wayne,  I'm using the basic serial write and read example from LabView examples.  I have attached it for you.

Coq rouge, the example program has the "\" code aready set. 

On the terminal program it doesn't require a "\".  If the terminal program doesn't need the "\"  does that mean I don't need it in LabView?

Thanks for the help.

Danny
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,706 Views)
The terminal program may be doing it for you as you type.
Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 06-16-2009 10:34 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,700 Views)

Sorry I was somewhat slow. Your NMITerm is a dedicated program, not some hyperterm tool. So I guess you have to do some spying. Or perhaps much more easy. Ask the vendor if they can send you the communication protocol, for your instrument

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,693 Views)