From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Port and LabVIEW

Ok I'm asking for a coworker who's a bit swamped about a problem he is having with LabVIEW.

He is trying to connect a digital scale that can print through a serial port to a computer but either Windows isn't finding it (which I think it is finding as it says the port works fine) or LabVIEW needs something to make it detect the port properly.

any ideas? I've never used LabVIEW but if you can give me some links to what may or may not be the problem that would really help.

Thanks for anything you guys can give me!

Kat

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,569 Views)

If you haven't installed the visa serial drivers this could cause your problem. Check this link if you need to d/l a driver for your LV version / platform: http://www.ni.com/drivers/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,560 Views)

Thanks! will look into it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,557 Views)

Little confused by the question, but it seems like you are having trouble detecing or establishing communication with a COM port. 

I have two quick reccomendatinos: 

1.  Try removing/uninstalling the COM port from the Windows Device Manager and then run a "Detect New Hardware" to have the COM port re-installed.  Sometimes helps if you can't detect or communicate with a COM port.

2.  Perhaps you are using the wrong COM port settings (e.g. baudrate, stop bits, etc.).  The settings on your PC must match the settings on the digital scale.

If you can provide more details, we might be able to help you better.

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,484 Views)

First verify everything works with something like Hypertrem. Then take a look at the serial communications example that ships with LabVIEW.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,472 Views)

asked my coworker he said he'd tried both those things and was recuriting help at our work.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,469 Views)

Was she able to communicate using Hyperterm?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,462 Views)

no he said he'd tried that. apparently the scale has no drivers causing some issues. like i said he's recruited programming help from someone more knowledgable then our little group of misfits.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,459 Views)