From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Communications with a Heidenhein ND780

I can not communicate with the Heidenhein ND780 using LabVIEW programming.  I am able to communicate with windows based software such as ComDebug so I know the port and the cable is good.  I am using a Visa write and read and am trying to get the X Y coordinate numbers into my LabVIEW application.  Any ideas on why communications with LabVIEW are not working?  I am sending a Hex command for data request (<esc>A0200<cr> or in hex 1B410200D) and am not getting a reply.   Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,110 Views)

With <esc>A0200<cr>, are you trying to send the characters A and zero, two, zero, zero ?  1B 41 works for esc and A ,  but then you go to 0200 in hex rather than 0200 as characters?  Then finish with D, which would be okay as hex 0D meaning <CR>.

Are you sure you have the baud rate, data bits, stop bits and parity set correctly in LabVIEW?   What is the response supposed to look like?  Does it end in a CR or LF?  Are you allowing a sufficient enough wait between the VISA write and VISA read to make sure the heidenhain has time to turn around its response.

Perhaps you can post the code you are using in LV.

If you use a program such as Portmon, perhaps you can log your communication using the ComDebug program and using LabVIEW and see how the two compare to each other.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,087 Views)

Look at page 87 here https://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/oma_nd_pt/pdf_files/ND700/ND780/bhb_de-en.pdf

For esc A0200 CR, you want your string in hex display to be 1B41 3032 3030 0D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,085 Views)