LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate compiled object cache question - Must all projects on the same PC have the same setting?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a question about how the compiled object cache works.  I am transitioning from projects that do not have compiled code separated and new ones that do have the separated compiled object cache option enabled. Can I have some projects with VIs whose compiled code is separate on the same PC as projects with VIs that have compiled code combined?  What if there are two projects that happen to have a VI with the same name but different physical disk locations? Will the compiled object cache keep them straight?

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,090 Views)

New projects inherit the setting in the options menu.  New controls and VIs inherit the setting of the project.  Make sure early on that the setting is the one you want because it becomes exponentially more tedious to convert the further on down the road you get.

I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but I think you can extrapolate the answer from the info I've given you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,065 Views)

The setting is "per vi" and only updates if the VI gets recompiled (edit, version upgrade, etc.) and resaved. In the project, you can mark/unmark this setting for all vis, but nothing happens to a vi that you don't touch. In summary, it should not matter much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,059 Views)

@billko wrote:

Make sure early on that the setting is the one you want because it becomes exponentially more tedious to convert the further on down the road you get.

No it doesn't.  In the project window, right-click on the project and select properties.  Then you can set the Separate From Compiled with a check box as well as hit a button that lists all of the VIs and their setting.  You can simply select all items and choose the state you want.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,055 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@billko wrote:

Make sure early on that the setting is the one you want because it becomes exponentially more tedious to convert the further on down the road you get.

No it doesn't.  In the project window, right-click on the project and select properties.  Then you can set the Separate From Compiled with a check box as well as hit a button that lists all of the VIs and their setting.  You can simply select all items and choose the state you want.

Yes you mark them, but they don't update until you save them.  If you never touch a VI, it doesn't get updated.  In order to make sure you get them all, you have to save them all.  Tedious.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 5 of 8
(3,036 Views)

Thanks for all the great replies.

To be more specific, is there one compiled object cache for all LV VIs? If so, does it matter (with respect to the separate compiled code setting) that you have two VIs on the same PC with the same name?

BTW, regarding @Bilko's comment

@billko

Yes you mark them, but they don't update until you save them.  If you never touch a VI, it doesn't get updated.  In order to make sure you get them all, you have to save them all.  Tedious.

Here's a great tool called Mark VIs I found while doing my search:

"Mark VIs and other files to Separate Compiled Code tool can be used to mark/unmark a directory hierarchy of VIs and project libraries to separate compiled code from source file. It provides a way to batch convert Files outside the project interface."

Mark VIs toolkit - Separate Compiled Code for VIs and other files

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,011 Views)

@TeraTech wrote:

Thanks for all the great replies.

To be more specific, is there one compiled object cache for all LV VIs? If so, does it matter (with respect to the separate compiled code setting) that you have two VIs on the same PC with the same name?

@BTW, regarding @Bilko's comment

@billko

Here's a great tool called Mark VIs I found while doing my search:

"Mark VIs and other files to Separate Compiled Code tool can be used to mark/unmark a directory hierarchy of VIs and project libraries to separate compiled code from source file. It provides a way to batch convert Files outside the project interface."

Mark VIs toolkit - Separate Compiled Code for VIs and other files

I don't know the specifics, but I would imagine LabVIEW is smart enough to differentiate.  That would be a very common scenario.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,005 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TeraTech

The VI Object cache stores the full path to a file, so as long as the full paths are different, it will use a different entry in the cache.

If you copy a project over to a new directory, it will take much longer to open a VI hierarchy as due to the new path, it will have to re-compile all the VIs and generate the VI Object cache for them.  The files in the old directory will open just as before.

Message 8 of 8
(3,000 Views)