cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send variant containing control reference with shared variable

I get:

Error -2147467259 occurred at Shared Variable in HostUI.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x80004005) Unspecified error.
=========================
NI System Configuration: (Hex 0x80004005) Miscellaneous operation failure.

This error or warning occurred while writing the following Shared Variable:

Any ideas what's going on?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,207 Views)

Yes.  Somewhere in the Secret LabVIEW Code that you refused to show us, you have a function or process that is mis-wired, illegal, getting a bad value, or something similar happening.  So why don't you look at your code and figure out your mistake?  If you want us to help you find it, you'll have to attach your VI so that we can see what you did, and you should also explain what you were trying to do ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,176 Views)

I don't think that was necessary. I didn't post any vi because I don't think that's myaplication-specific problem. I think I've already solved it and it happened because I wanted to use network-published variable to send a control reference, which now kind of doesn't make any sense to me, because this control is only on the host or target, so how can the other one use the reference. But I still want to:

-obtain reference by event structure on host

-convert it to variant and send it to the target

-extract data there with property node: label consists some

-make some calculations and depending on the results - prepare a state for this control

-send the state and reference back to the host and use it there. That way I could refer to the control easily. And I have a couple of them.

I'm attaching presentation of the error and nothing else becuase I don't really have anything yet. I'm just thinking about possible ways to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,170 Views)

@bartek618 wrote:

because I wanted to use network-published variable.

Right there is your problem.  I actually consider NPSVs to be evil.  They are slow and introduce weird race conditions.  Instead, use TCP or Network Streams to pass data between your host and target.  Personally, I like to use the STM library with TCP.  It seems most people around here prefer Network Streams.  They both do the job more reliably than NPSVs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(2,155 Views)

Thank you, I'll look into it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,145 Views)

@bartek618 wrote:

I don't think that was necessary. I didn't post any vi because I don't think that's myaplication-specific problem.

Hi bartek,

Do not take it as a personal attack. When you have been on the forums for a while, you see a lot of trends in people asking questions. One of the more frustrating aspects of giving someone help is getting at the relevant information. People (not you specifically) will often only give feedback along the lines of "it works / doesn't work", which is hardly any information at all. Posting your code from the start has the added benefit that people will often point out that a function can be used in a much simpler way, which I am always happy to learn about.

People would not hang out on the LabVIEW forums looking for questions to answer if they didn't want to help you, so keep firing away 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,144 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

@bartek618 wrote:

I don't think that was necessary. I didn't post any vi because I don't think that's myaplication-specific problem.

Hi bartek,

Do not take it as a personal attack. When you have been on the forums for a while, you see a lot of trends in people asking questions. One of the more frustrating aspects of giving someone help is getting at the relevant information. People (not you specifically) will often only give feedback along the lines of "it works / doesn't work", which is hardly any information at all. Posting your code from the start has the added benefit that people will often point out that a function can be used in a much simpler way, which I am always happy to learn about.

People would not hang out on the LabVIEW forums looking for questions to answer if they didn't want to help you, so keep firing away 🙂

Then again, the best detectives know the right questions to ask.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,129 Views)