LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selectively execute cases in case-structure

The simple solution in this case is to add a Reconnect case which'll run if there's an error in Connect. The others are simple enough, just use a Select to choose which state should be next.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(291 Views)

I understand. So its best to get down to the fundamental imperative style and just explicitly program what I want rather than depending on State and Actions. Did I get you right?

NI System Configuration:
- NI PXIe-1071, 4-Slot 3U PXI Express Chassis , 1 GB/Slot throughput, Part Number: 781368-01
- NI PXIe-PCIe8381,x8 Gen2 MXI-Express for PXI Express Interface,3m, Part Number: 782522-01
- PXIe-5160 PXI Oscilloscope, 500 MHz, 10 bits, 2.5 GS/s, 2 Channels, 64 MB, Part Number: 782621-01
- Astronics PXIe-1209 2-Channel, 100 MHz PXI Pulse Generator, Part Number: 785033-01
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(272 Views)

@asukumari wrote:

I understand. So its best to get down to the fundamental imperative style and just explicitly program what I want rather than depending on State and Actions. Did I get you right?

I would argue that a true state machine implementation would be a more flexible solution and allow for more enhancement in the future.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(261 Views)

@asukumari wrote:

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but if so, I'll try to answer. Depending on state and actions is good, it's just the wrong tool for this particular question. Queuing up actions is a poor way to program- queuing up messages is a great way to program. If you're queuing actions, you'd be better off 99% of the time to just use subVI's, as you can change and direct flow as needed.

This program is a good example. Say you have an Actions queue, and you send a Connect action then a Send Data action to send a "Set Voltage" action then a "Set Current Limit" action. If your Connect succeeds, but your first Set Voltage action fails, now you still have a Set Current Limit action stuck in the queue, and you have to push a Disconnect-Reconnect-Set Voltage into the front of the queue to try again. You end up having to handle the whole queue manually, which is a pain, and it's quite tricky to handle individual "dumb" actions like that.

Contrast this with a queued *message* handler wrapped around a state machine. Now, the main loop sends a Connect *message*. This message can look at the internal state variable (I use enums) and say hey, I'm already connected- don't do anything. Contrast this to a connect *action* which will just call the Connect process no matter what the previous state was. The *message* can then decide if it needs to run Connect.vi or not, and if so, can set the internal state variable to Connected.

Next you have your Set Voltage *message* which can look at the internal state variable. If it's Connected, great, call Set Voltage.vi. On the error line from that, and in the same message handling structure, decide if there's no error, great, don't change the state. If there is an error, you can decide (based on the needs of your program) to either Disconnect-Reconnect-Retry, or to run Disconnect.vi, set the internal state to Disconnected, and display an error to the user (e.g., "Send message failed, please ensure the device is plugged in and try to Connect again")

Basically, keep the State of the State machine in a shift register local to the message handling loop. This loop will try to dequeue *messages*, not *states*, and each message can decide what to do by looking at the current State in the shift register for that independent loop.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(244 Views)