From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting analog cutoff frequency for NI-USB 6251

Hello everybody!

-I´m trying to acquire voltage analog signals by using a BNC 2110 and a bord NI USB-6251. Does anybody know if a programmable analog lowpass filter is available for NI USB-6251? If it is available, how can I set a value for the analog lowpass filter on labview?

thank you in advance,

best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,640 Views)

Duplicate post.  There isn't such a filter though.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,632 Views)

Thank you for this information John Passiak!

-If there is no programmable analog lowpass filter for NI-USB 6251, so I will need to use the standart cutoff frequency "fc" of the analog lowpass filter (fc= 750 kHz, as mentioned in the user´s manual) for acquiring my signals. By doing so, it will be necessary to use a sampling rate of at least 1,5 MHz to digitize the signal, in order to avoid aliasing! The maximal sampling rate "fs" available is fs= 1,25MHz (according to the user´s manual). Besides, the duration of the signals which I need to digitize take about 25s. That would lead to a considerably higher number os data, and problems to open and save the signals in Labview!  How can I solve this problem?

thank you again for your help!

best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,622 Views)

Hi pinguim,

You could use a Producer/Consumer design in your application.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3023/en/

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,593 Views)

Hi Lars,

-Thank you for the tip! A guess this tip could be a possible solution for handling large amount of acquired data, but would not solve the problem regarding aliasing. What would you say about it?

Best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,582 Views)

Hi pinguim,

to avoid aliasing you should build a hardware filter at the input of your device. You can't avoid aliasing due a digital filter after A/D conversion.

Why Should I Use Anti-Aliasing Filters?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/68F14E8E26B3D101862569350069E0B9

Anti-Aliasing

http://letfdaq2.drupalgardens.com/content/anti-aliasing-ni-article

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,577 Views)

Hi Lars,

-Thank you a lot for the links!

-I know about the problem regarding Aliasing! That´s exaclty the reason why I am looking for a programmable analog lowpass filter for NI USB-6251, as described on my first post!

best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,563 Views)

Hi pinguim,

such filters are not available for the NI USB-6251.

Either you build your own low pass filter or you buy other hardware with implemented programmable analog filters.

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,517 Views)