From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on how to deal with inherited code

@JÞB wrote:

With only 6 months of exposure to programming in LabVIEW you have to consider yourself an infant.   TRUST ME I'VE BEEN THERE! and without any mentor to guide the team.  We wound up "potty training " ourselves.  Certainly,  we made mistakes and wound up producing piles of feces!  Eventually, we made enough painful mistakes that our code looked pretty darn good.  It took years and countless man-hours of wasted time.

You need a mentor to show you practical use of the Core Training Material to learn without the pain we endured.  

Believe me, some kind of mentor would be wonderful, but realistically, I have to accept I'm on my own and likely to be struggling through this on my own. 

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(667 Views)

Hi

My first assignment as a freshman working with LabVIEW was in 1995. I was given the task to make a not working test system, work. And the code was pretty incomprehensive. Like the code you showed.

But a closer look at your code tells me that it is code not given proper love. I think it will be much easier to understand if you nurse it a little. The code is probably running. Don't break it. Nowadays it is called Continuous Integration.

So what should you do. Clean it up and compact it. Move terminals around to avoid wire breaks. And make things understandable. As an example this :

Yndigegn_0-1678986164428.png

Three controls. The first one has no name. The 2'nd one is called CHT on the panel. And the unit is outside the control, contrary to the RPM unit. The 3'rd one is called RAO on the panel. The diagram shows this for these controls :

Yndigegn_1-1678986328131.png

It would make everything easier to understand if Engine Speed were shown next to the yellow control. And the controls called CHT and RAO are in fact called CHT 2 and RAO 2 on the diagram. I consider such choices the sure way to incomprehensive coding. And there is no consistency in the units placement. 

A diagram should not exceed the display size. That was the rule in early 2000'th. In modern talk it would translate to a diagram size of 1200x800. Or something like that. You can create very complex code within that space. LabVIEW diagrams are three dimensional.

The front panel has the controls intended to be seen. But there are control outside that area. Any such controls should be hidden. Makes front panels nice(r) when printed. And other benefits.  

Labelling constants and wires and comment everything you figure out will really help you. But don't re-code anything unless you are VERY sure you understand what the code does.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30
(949 Views)

That's only 15% as bad as i thought it would be!

Just create subvis and give them good names as you start to understand and analyze the code and you should have a much easier time to read and maintain the code.

I like Subversion with the TortoiseSVN interface as SCC, it's simpler than GIT and a good starting point.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30
(912 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I like Subversion with the TortoiseSVN interface as SCC, it's simpler than GIT and a good starting point.

I came from using SVN at a previous company and was dumped into GIT in my current company.

SVN is sooo much simpler to understand and use IMHO.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 24 of 30
(892 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

I came from using SVN at a previous company and was dumped into GIT in my current company.

Can't argument with that. 🙂

And for projects where you do not work with lots of people on the same code, and considering that many of the GIT features don't really work well for binary blob data as LabVIEW VIs are, the additional complexity of GIT is not really warranted with any real benefits in comparison to an SVN version control system.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 25 of 30
(884 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

@Frozen wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

Can't argument with that. 🙂

And for projects where you do not work with lots of people on the same code, and considering that many of the GIT features don't really work well for binary blob data as LabVIEW VIs are, the additional complexity of GIT is not really warranted with any real benefits in comparison to an SVN version control system.

I would also add that the TSVN Toolkit from Viewpoint systems is an excellent tool that brings all of the Repository operations straight into your LabVIEW Project. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 26 of 30
(875 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Out of curiosity I worked in subversion running on a private server for years then was turned on to GIT after changing jobs, are there now some good options for free hosting sites for subversion repos?

(862 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

Out of curiosity I worked in subversion running on a private server for years then was turned on to GIT after changing jobs, are there now some good options for free hosting sites for subversion repos?

Free not that I'm aware of and even commercial webhosters do not support that out of the box anymore. My internet provider used to have SVN support in the past but they stopped with that several years ago. They also don't support GIT of course. I suppose with enough effort you could get your own things working in that respect with a full SSH access, but I'm not that geeky. Instead I use a Synology NAS and have the SVN server on there.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 28 of 30
(857 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

I've used ProjectLocker in a previous project, but i not completely free. $19/mo isn't too bad for a basic account though.

ProjectLocker Plans & Pricing

Quick search gave this: RiouxSVN — Free, Private Subversion Hosting

I know nothing about them, but it seems they give out 4x 50MB repo for free, and you can upgrade it with 20MB/dollar and other stuff.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 29 of 30
(839 Views)

There actually is a "Free Hosting Site" for Subversion.  Look up VisualSVN, which has a "Free" option.  We've been using the "Enterprise" version at the University of Rochester for (I'm guessing here) 10 years, and it is fairly easy to set up.  The Enterprise version has a cost based on number of users, starting at a shockingly-reasonable price for up to 10 Users.  The "catch" is you have to Host it Yourself (as @rolf has done).

Another relatively-low-cost option for SVN is Assembla, which I've also used, with relative ease.

Bob Schor

Message 30 of 30
(833 Views)