LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search function in NXG development environment

Solved!
Go to solution

Sorry for a super-simple question. For some reason I cannot figure out how does search in NXG works.

A block diagram (BD) of a GVI is open. <Ctl-F> opens Find dialog. However, the search is limited to text in Comments, String constants, Text nodes, Refnum constants.

1) How can I find a numeric value?

or a path constant value?

or... any other searchable in old LabVIEW?

2) The dialog searches only in current BD. How can I search all BD-s in the project?

3) How can I search a node? For example, how can I find all Index Array nodes in all BD-s of the project?

4) Clicking a sub-GVI I can find all uses of this GVI. However only in project. How can I find them in BD-s?

I shall be happy to get a link to description of these basics. Conventional search in the forum, www.ni.com or in Google does not help because words "search" and "find" are too common.

(2,998 Views)

What version of NXG are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,947 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

What version of NXG are you using?

I use NXG 3.1.1 Build 6.4.1.508044

(2,941 Views)

Hi _Y_,

Try Ctrl + Shift + F to search the whole project. You can find functions, constants, etc.

To see where the subVI is call, select the VI and you can use View menu > Call Hierarchy. This will give an overall view of function calls. 

Search in NXG.png

Thanks,

Frank

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,918 Views)

@fblerg wrote:

Hi _Y_,

Try Ctrl + Shift + F to search the whole project. You can find functions, constants, etc.

To see where the subVI is call, select the VI and you can use View menu > Call Hierarchy. This will give an overall view of function calls. 

Thank you fblerg,

Search of strings in whole project is easier for me now. But how about other types of search? Nodes, values, ...?

And the most important: Where such information can be found? Asking simplest questions in the forum is a strange strategySmiley Frustrated

(2,905 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _Y_

Sure, happy to help. You can also search for functions, nodes, etc with this. In the below image, I searched for Index Array by typing index, which finds two results in two VIs. 

The LabVIEW NXG help documentation is the online Product Manual. The online help is very searchable, and you can start there for basic info. Feel free to point out anything that is missing or that would be helpful to add. 

See below for the shortcuts page. 

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/editor/keyboard-shortcuts/

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/manual/manual-overview/

Index Search.png

Thanks,

Frank

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,898 Views)

Are there any options for the first query (searching numeric / path constants)? The search also doesn't seem work for string constants inside an array.

nxg_search_123.PNG

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,883 Views)

There isn't options for Ctrl + F search. I will file a bug report for the inconsistent behavior for string arrays and numerics. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks,

Frank

Message 8 of 9
(2,857 Views)

@fblerg wrote:

There isn't options for Ctrl + F search. I will file a bug report for the inconsistent behavior for string arrays and numerics. Thanks for pointing that out.

I tested little more. Seems no value is searchable. For example, path constants cannot be found.

By the way, learning language starting from keyboard shortcuts was really fun and unusualSmiley Very Happy

Thank you, @fblerg. I mark one of your answers as solution while solution is the whole discussion.