LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrolling while dragging in the Project Window not working

Solved!
Go to solution

This has worked in every version of LabVIEW up til 2018 at least.  I skipped LV2019, so don't know if it is there.  But in LV2020, it does not work (same for 2020SP1).

I used to be able to grab an item in the project and drag it to drop it off at a new location that was not currently visible in the project window.  I could drag to the top or bottom of the tree, and the project window would start scrolling so that I could move the item into a folder/library/etc. that was off screen.  This doesn't appear to be working in 2020, and I can't figure out any other way to scroll the window while dragging an item.

I'm either dragging as far as I can and dropping it, scrolling again, repeat until I get to where I need to be, or drop the item(s) from the project, scroll up to the area I want them, and re-add them to the project.  The first method can result in libraries and classes getting modified simply because I dropped and removed the item from the library or class as I tried to drag it to it's new position.  The latter is just plain annoying.

Scrolling has always been slow, but it has always worked.  Is there a workaround?  Was this loss of function intentional?

Message 1 of 12
(2,850 Views)

@Matthew_Kelton wrote:

This has worked in every version of LabVIEW up til 2018 at least.  I skipped LV2019, so don't know if it is there.  But in LV2020, it does not work (same for 2020SP1).

I used to be able to grab an item in the project and drag it to drop it off at a new location that was not currently visible in the project window.  I could drag to the top or bottom of the tree, and the project window would start scrolling so that I could move the item into a folder/library/etc. that was off screen.  This doesn't appear to be working in 2020, and I can't figure out any other way to scroll the window while dragging an item.

I'm either dragging as far as I can and dropping it, scrolling again, repeat until I get to where I need to be, or drop the item(s) from the project, scroll up to the area I want them, and re-add them to the project.  The first method can result in libraries and classes getting modified simply because I dropped and removed the item from the library or class as I tried to drag it to it's new position.  The latter is just plain annoying.

Scrolling has always been slow, but it has always worked.  Is there a workaround?  Was this loss of function intentional?

So you're talking about how, when you get near a border, the window starts scrolling?  I have used this often, but not in LV 2020 (or SP1).  I'll go home and see if I have the same issue.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,816 Views)

When you approach the edge of the white frame for the tree control (either the underneath the column names, or just above the edge of the bottom of the window, the tree will start scrolling up or down.

Message 3 of 12
(2,813 Views)

@Matthew_Kelton wrote:

When you approach the edge of the white frame for the tree control (either the underneath the column names, or just above the edge of the bottom of the window, the tree will start scrolling up or down.

You explained it better than me.  I tried it at home and it doesn't seem to be working.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 4 of 12
(2,790 Views)

Thanks for confirming it.

Message 5 of 12
(2,749 Views)

Has anyone found a better workaround than to: move an item to the top/bottom, then scroll the window, then move the item some more, and so on? Perhaps remove then add the item is faster.

It was annoyingly slow to drag-scroll an item before. Maybe it would be better to have a right-click option "Move" to move an item within the project. A bit like "Move on disk..." in the Files tab.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 6 of 12
(2,702 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Matthew_Kelton

There was a thread about this over on LAVA.

Apparently bug #1096546 was filed for this.

Message 7 of 12
(2,684 Views)

So I have gotten tired moving, scrolling, moving again, as it ends up modifying classes or libraries along the way.

Cut/Paste works, but the cut is performed before the paste operation occurs, removing the VI from the project/class/library immediately.  If the VI is not open, LabVIEW needs to load it into memory first.  The whole process is probably the same as dragging it as far as processing, but it is kind of annoying that it removes the item before I am ready to paste it.

Alternatively, you can open the VI, remove it from the project and drag it (from the VI) to the new location in the project.  Again, similar to cut/paste.

Message 8 of 12
(2,677 Views)

This topic makes me sad.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 9 of 12
(2,659 Views)

In theory, one could write a project provider which would add a move command which would then open a VI, parse the project tree, rebuild it on a front panel, monitor the user's action and then call the Move method on the project item to move it to the relevant place.

Sounds like some work, but doable, depending on the level of annoyance this causes.

(2,634 Views)