From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale Object with Panel, but what about inside a Tab control?

The Scale Object with Panel option works very well for simple UI objects.  I like to use it for VIs that display tables or multicolumn listboxes, etc.  I am finding a limitation when I use the Tab control.  If I have a table or listbox in each tab, I would like them to scale with the panel.  I would also like the tab to scale.  It should look like an Excel workbook where all sheets scale with the window even though they are each on their own tab.  If I could only Group the various tables / lists with the Tab itself....

This wouldn't be such an issue if the Bounds property of the multicolumn listbox was writable.  I can set the number of rows and columns, but column size can be variable and not uniform across all columns.  Also, that solution looks and behaves much different from the Scale Object with Panel approach.... not to mention the extra coding required.

I'm guessing that this amounts to a feature request, but if anyone has a present-version workaround, I'd love to hear about it.

See you at NI Week!

Dan Press
PrimeTest Automation
Message 1 of 17
(5,136 Views)

Well if the guys that can produce a vi front panel with irregular boundaries are having a problem with this I guess the rest of us are lost!Smiley Surprised

See you at NIWeek

Putnam

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,118 Views)
Has anyone solved this issue? I have the same problem in LV 8.1. Best regards, Marius
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,009 Views)

Mattis,

What exactly is the problem that you are experiencing? Can you attach an example VI to demonstrate the problem? There is no LabVIEW 8.1. We currently have 8.0, 8.0.1, and 8.20. Which one do you have?

Normally you can resolve problems like that by using the property nodes for the different controls that you are using in your program.

Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,991 Views)
Hi Kalin T,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am running version 8.01. My problem is that i cannot select "Scale object with pane" for the controls inside a Tab control if the Tab control "Scale object with pane" is turned on. I want both the Tab control and the controls inside to be scaled, for instance an Waveform graph or an textbox  when i resize my main window.

Best regards,
Mattis
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,975 Views)
Mattis:

In order to scale all objects on the front panel so that resizing the front panel window, resizes all the front panel objects as well, do the following:

1. Open VI Properties by selecting File » VI Properties
  2. Select Window Size from the Category menu
  3. Place a checkmark in Scale all objects on front panel as the window resizes*

Note: This option only applies to single pane panel.

I hope this helps and do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Rudi N.
Applications Engineer
Message 6 of 17
(4,953 Views)
Thanks for the info. I think it is an adequate way to do it like that, but it is possible to scale some objects and reposition some? I would like to scale the waveform graph but not the buttons around it. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. -Mattis
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,933 Views)

Mattis,

If you use Rudi's suggestion, you will not have a choice to leave out front panel objects. Another way of resizing is by grouping several objects together. Then you can resize the whole group of objects at the same time. They preserve their relative size to one another. However, when you use Tab controls you cannot group the object inside the Tab control and the Tab control itself, because the Tab control is the container for your object.

Hope that helps, 

Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,902 Views)
Ok, thanks for all the help. -Mattis
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,877 Views)
Please someone tell me how to scale objects inside of tabs.  I have a very very large application and the vi property setting and/or grouping objects and selecting (scale with pane) does not work for tabs.  If there is no easy way to do this, what is the best approach to solve the problem? Should i go into every tab and resize all the objects on a low monitor resolution setting so that they look good? It seems like this is the group to ask. If you all know anyone that has delt with this before i would be forever in your debt if you could pass this tread along.
Mark Mutton
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,832 Views)