LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving values from one run to the next

I am working on a large project that is a long term test (years) certain events must occur at certain time intervals after other events.

How do I save the current state everything was in if three months into the test the program needs to be restarted, computer rebooted, crashes, power outage, etc...?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,394 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

the concept is the same for long term tests as for short runs:

- before exiting the program (or at regular intervals) save the current state to a file

- when starting the next time you read the file and use its information

The file format is doesnt' really matter, but LabView offers functions to read/write ini files (aka Config files), XML files and plain ASCII files. It's up to you!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(2,390 Views)

GerdW wrote:

Hi RTSLVU,

the concept is the same for long term tests as for short runs:

- before exiting the program (or at regular intervals) save the current state to a file

- when starting the next time you read the file and use its information

The file format is doesnt' really matter, but LabView offers functions to read/write ini files (aka Config files), XML files and plain ASCII files. It's up to you!

Yeah, that's kind of what I fuggured...

This is my first time developing a program of this scale, I have never had to really worry about such things before.

Here is my first attempt at reading from a config file Smiley Sad

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,385 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

There is a set of examples that come with LabVIEW that write to and read from a configuration file. You can find them in the Example Finder under Fundamentals » File Input and Output. The Write Configuration Settings File.vi example saves the values of your controls on the front panel to a configuration file and the Read Configuration Settings File.vi reads that config file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,339 Views)