From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving values from dial to a variable - new user.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am learning LabView so I can one day control a syringe pump via serial connection, and perhaps more.  I am just starting out, so please bear with me.  I am writing a program that simulates a combination lock.  My goal is to have the user input the first number using a dial, press a button to save it, then repeat using the same dial for numbers two, three... n.  Once all n numbers are saved the program will compare what was inputted vs. the set values.  If true a light will turn on, if false nothing happens.

I am struggling with the saving numbers to a variable step.  I am proficient in Matlab and I think I am trying to solve this problem in terms of Matlab.  Any suggestions for this issue, or how to learn LabView in general?  I did watch the tutorial videos from NI.

Many thanks,

Andrew 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,549 Views)

@athiggins wrote:

Hi,

I am learning LabView so I can one day control a syringe pump via serial connection, and perhaps more.  I am just starting out, so please bear with me.  I am writing a program that simulates a combination lock.  My goal is to have the user input the first number using a dial, press a button to save it, then repeat using the same dial for numbers two, three... n.  Once all n numbers are saved the program will compare what was inputted vs. the set values.  If true a light will turn on, if false nothing happens.

I am struggling with the saving numbers to a variable step.  I am proficient in Matlab and I think I am trying to solve this problem in terms of Matlab.  Any suggestions for this issue, or how to learn LabView in general?  I did watch the tutorial videos from NI.

Many thanks,

Andrew 

Why that complicated?

Use a String control for entry and compare the string agains a saved value.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,544 Views)

Stop thinking in terms of variables; start thinking in terms of dataflow.  Put the dial in an Event structure (inside a For loop) that responds to a button press, collect the numbers in an auto-indexing tunnel and compare the array with the combination.

Show what you've done and you'll get more help.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,538 Views)

Please see the attached vi. I can't seem to connect the loop to the button.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,480 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author athiggins

@jcarmody wrote:

[...] Put the dial in an Event structure (inside a For loop) that responds to a button press, collect the numbers in an auto-indexing tunnel and compare the array with the combination. [...]

Lock%20Test[1]_BD.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,472 Views)