LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving data in remote panel

Hi, the senario is this,
I have create a VI that measure audio level from my multimeter(HP34401) through GPIB. I have no problem creating a save button so as to let the user save the data in a file into my pc. The problem is this : I pupblish using web publisher to serve as a remote panel. When i use another pc to run this remote vi, everything runs okay except that it does not prompt me "save file as" dialog. Well my question is how can i save my data in remote panel? My level of creating a save vi is very simple so i do not know the more advanced type of saving data in remote panel. Pls help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,173 Views)
The following is an excerpt from the Labview 7.0 User Manual, page 18-15 (chapter on remote panel limitations):
"Additionally, some VIs might not work exactly the same way from a remote
computer as they do when run locally. ActiveX controls embedded on a
front panel do not display on a remote client because they draw and operate
almost completely independent of LabVIEW. If a VI presents the standard
file dialog box, the controller receives an error because you cannot browse
a file system remotely. Also, the browse button of a path control is disabled
in remote panels."

So I think it is the file dialog box and not the saving of the file which causes the problem in your case. In fact, I successfully use in one of my programs a 'Save to file' procedure
, but the filename and directory are generated automatically and no dialog is used.

A solution in your case could be to read the file/directory info programmatically in the VI and present it to the (remote) user within a labview (and not OS) dialog box.
Admittedly, a quite complex solution...

If anybody else knows a simpler solution, I am also interested int it...

-Franz
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,171 Views)
Hmm.... Don't reall quite get what u mean. Are u saying that make a front panel that user will key in the file name himself without using dialog. Have not try out anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,171 Views)
That's what I tried to say: When you avoid to present the file dialog of the operating system the very process of saving to or reading from a file will work with remote panels. As I said, I do this in one of my programs where the filename is contructed programmatically and no user input is required. If you need a user input, this should be done by either direct typing into a control or by using a dialog box written in Labview, but not by the usual file dialog box.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,171 Views)
I am facing the same problem same as Jackolin is facing.
Well, In my case,

I have used "File Path Control" to bring up the File Dialog. & it works. I mean the "Choose File" dialog pops up.
However, after I select a file to save the data, it tries to search the path in the server. If the path exists it saves the data in the file on the server. Whereas I want & expect the data to be saved on the local machine.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,914 Views)

Hey Fahlers, how did u save the data in the file on the remote computer?

In my case even if I hard code the path in the VI, and try to access it as a Remote Panel, still it saves the data on the server machine & not on the remote machine.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,914 Views)
The problem is that when viewing the front panel by way of a remote web server, the VI is still running on the server and within the server's environment.  So if you try to save to the c:\ drive, it is the server's C:\drive you are referring to, not your remote PC's.  You would have to find a way to save the file by way of a named network path such as \\ my remote pc \c\ ....  (spaces added so it wouldn't show up as a link).  Of course this path will have to be shared so that the server PC can access it. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,902 Views)