LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving an Excel Workbook in OneDrive generates an error.

Has anyone experienced saving errors when attempting to save data to an Excel Workbook via OneDrive?

I have a scenario where users initialize an Excel Workbook (via a template, xltx), populate data that users configure a device through a LabVIEW dialog box, then save that workbook via the Save As Dialog box to MS OneDrive. Users use the saved workbook to populate data (from an external device) and, after each reading of the device, attempts to save the data. I continue to get Error -2146827. Looking at the link and going through the suggested solutions, either nothing applies or the suggestion didn't work.

If users don't use OneDrive, the workbook saves as expected.

Anyone else experienced this and, if so, what was your workaround?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(896 Views)

Hi Eric,

using sync service like OneDrive (or Dropbox or other similar software) might influence other file operations…

@Eric1977 wrote:

If users don't use OneDrive, the workbook saves as expected.

Anyone else experienced this and, if so, what was your workaround?

Workaround: don't use the OneDrive-synced folder to edit your workbook!

Edit the workbook in an usual folder, and move it to OneDrive after everything else has been finished…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(888 Views)

No offense but that seems like a crappy solution. MS OneDrive was supposed to have auto-save abilities even if the Save button was pressed. Is the Save button more like a sync feature now than an saving when files are placed there?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(884 Views)

@Eric1977 wrote:

Has anyone experienced saving errors when attempting to save data to an Excel Workbook via OneDrive?

Frankly I don't recommend writing directly to any network or "cloud" storage. Because if you are having connectivity issues then you can't save any data.

I recommend you save your data files to the hard drive and then use LabVIEW to transfer them to whatever network or cloud storage you are using.

Then you can always work and it the transfer fails you still have your data and can try to transfer it later

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(834 Views)