cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving all projects files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I currently reviewing my project and make mostly cosmetic/ efficiency changes to it. Since my projects has many files and LV has problems changing StrictTypedefs without crashing (already discussed in another thread), I basically have to save almost every time I make a change.

Every time I save the projects a lot of files are saved (even if I only edited one) which takes about 1-30s. This makes fluent development impossible.

Why does LV sometimes need to save almost all files and sometimes only a few? Is this a project definition which can be toggled off?   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,420 Views)

Hi sh,

when you change a typedef then this can influence a lot of VI, where the typedef is used…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,407 Views)

Does this explain the long saving times?

Is there anything I can speed up this process or just accept it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,395 Views)

One thing might be this: Minor changes can affect many VIs when TypeDefs are all around and "separate compiled code" is not active. Then you will need to save any file that has any relation to the typedef. Try to have as many files with this setting active as possible. Read more here.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,387 Views)

The problem still persists. I understand why the compilation needs more time to link all the sources but saving especially small VIs should not interfere with programming. Classic IDEs differentiate between editing and compiling.

Is this because LV is mostly graphical programming where all the elements (and their callers) need to be updated in the code and the graphical representation of it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,372 Views)

Hi sh,

@s.h._tech wrote:

Classic IDEs differentiate between editing and compiling.

LabVIEW does compile when you edit - or when you save…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,367 Views)

Does this mean that when I see the popup window with 'Saving xx of 78' it also compiles?

Sometimes before I start the application I get a window with 'Compiling xx of 56'?

I still dont understand the long saving times.

• Is it the saving+compiling? Can I just save?
  • Is saving files (and their dependencies) inherently slow?

The VIs are usually <50kB. Even with 200 files the limits of the hard disc can not be the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,357 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author s.h._tech

Hi sh,

did you enable "Separate compiled code…" in your project?

This helps a lot - especially when used with a SCC tool!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 8 of 14
(2,353 Views)

Even before "separate compiled code" existed, I never experienced what you are explaining, even for very large applications. Yes, updating typedefs could affect many VIs, but not to the extent that it took long to save. So in my view, this is not a common issue but is somehow related to how your project/code is made.

And it has nothing to do with LabVIEW being a graphical programming. 

So do check that you have all VIs set to "separate compiled code" and see if that helps first (it was unclear if you did).

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 9 of 14
(2,333 Views)

I activated 

Tools>>Options>>Enviroment: General -> seperate compiled code from new files

Is this the right one? My LV is in German and sometimes I have trouble finding the right translation 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,332 Views)