cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save report VI from report generation toolkit is broken

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I created a data log vi using report generation toolkits. Initially it worked and then I copied the vi to another folder and tried to run it but ended up with a broken vi.  The error occurs in the save report vi of the report generation tool kit.   Please see attached vi and screenshots. I'm sure if you run the vi, it might work on your machine but won't work on mine. That's why I find it wired. Has anyone seen this kind of issue before?

Message 1 of 45
(14,737 Views)

If the report already exists, why not just save on the dispose report vi?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 45
(14,725 Views)

Your code is working on my machine.

"Save Report to File.vi" is broken on your machine as the Error list states, what do you see if you click on that vi in the error list?

Or what do you see when you open the Excel implementation of "Save Report to File.vi"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 45
(14,680 Views)

AnthonyMN>> Because "Dispose Report" closes down the opened Excel instance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 45
(14,682 Views)

I have just had the same issue - worked fine a couple of days ago. I think there may have been an office update which has broken it.

I seem to have resolved it though:

1. Open the broken VI (NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:Excel_Save_Workbook.vi)
  2. On the invoke node click SaveAs to bring up the list of methods.
  3. Find SaveAs in the list and select.

No code changes should be needed but it does add an additional input that wasn't there before. I've not had a chance to test it properly but don't see any reason it should have problems.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 5 of 45
(14,627 Views)

James,

I just checked some code of mine that creates Excel Workbooks (LabVIEW 2016) -- they (still) work just fine.  I didn't understand your comment (I don't see any "Save As" option, and also don't know what you mean by an "Invoke Node").  I also don't see any new input.

I'm running LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) on Windows 10 x64, with Office 2013 (64-bit).  I have another setup at work (three time zones and one border away until next week) with Win 7 and Office 2010 that I have not tested.

Can you clarify your comment?

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I really enjoyed reading your "writings on LabVIEW Development".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 45
(14,603 Views)

Hi Bob,

Not in front of my PC right now but that invoke node is in the report generation toolkit and is one of the direct ActiveX calls.

I've seen this in Office 2016 (installed through office 365 if that makes any difference) so I wouldn't expect older versions of office to be affected.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 45
(14,574 Views)

This is the VI I found broken:

excel_file_change.png

When I reselected the saveAs then it added "WorkIdentity" at the bottom. Thing is... I cannot find any reference to this anywhere else in the world/internet.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
Message 8 of 45
(14,567 Views)

@James_McN wrote:

When I reselected the saveAs then it added "WorkIdentity" at the bottom. Thing is... I cannot find any reference to this anywhere else in the world/internet.

Yep.  I managed to find a list of what purports to be the ActiveX options for SaveAs in Office 2016, and it has all of the properties you show up to Local, but not WorkIdentity.  Must be a Microsoft Secret, designed to "break" otherwise-compatible software ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 45
(14,548 Views)
Solution
Accepted by SolPS

Hi all,

I spoke with an NI application Engineer and we tried Mass complile from Labview on the particular folder containing the VI.

Tools--->Advanced---->Mass Compile.  This fixed the problem.

Thanks

Message 10 of 45
(14,501 Views)