LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save for Previous: The object "Attachment" does not exist in the previous version

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to save a very simple VI from LabVIEW 2013 SP1 to LabVIEW 2009 but I'm getting this strange error.  The VI contains only fundamental primatives that are available in all versions of LabVIEW (Logical Shift, AND, Select, <=, U8).  When I try to save it for LabVIEW 2009, it gives me the following warning:

Missing Object.  The object "Attachment" does not exist in the previous version.

I first suspected it had to do with being owned by a lvclass but even after I removed it from the class (and disconnected it from the lvclass) it still gives me this warning.

When I try to open it with 2009, it fails to load the block diagram (error 6).

The next thing I tried was to copy the block diagram to a new VI and re-create the connector pane but this didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,466 Views)

Hi Nathan,

mind to attach your bogus VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,456 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NathanJD

Maybe "attachment" is referring to an attached comment (the arrow from a free label to an object on the diagram). I wouldn't expect the presence of attached comments to cause an SFPed VI to fail to open, but that's the only thing I can think of. Try removing any attached comments in your diagram and SFPing and see if that solves the problem.

Message 3 of 9
(4,440 Views)

It is extremely difficult to tell what part of your VI is giving you difficulty without seeing the VI itself!  Please attach the VI, and when we try to convert it to LabVIEW 2009, maybe we'll "get a clue" to your problem and can suggest a solution.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,428 Views)

Removing the arrow from my free label solved the "attachment" warning.  It still fails to open in LV2009.

Attached is the problem VI in its original source (LV2013 SP1).

Thanks for the prompt responses!

EDIT:  I accepted the removing of the arrow as the solution since that fixed the error listed in the thread title.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,415 Views)

I don't have LabVIEW 2009 installed, but LabVIEW 2015 "says" it did the conversion -- see if this works for you.

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 9
(4,410 Views)

Hi,

LV2014 also does convert your VI without complains.

Hint: Sometimes I like to use SplitNumber functions when it comes to split bytes from (long) words…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 9
(4,391 Views)

That worked.  I just remembered that I have LV2014 installed and it seems to work.  I guess if this situation ever arises again, I'll have to use LV2014 (if I have it installed at the time).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,384 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hint: Sometimes I like to use SplitNumber functions when it comes to split bytes from (long) words…

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of it when working with this VI in previous projects since we use the split number primitive all the time.  Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,379 Views)