From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sampling frequency for a analogue pulse voltage signal

Hi, friends:

I have an analog voltage signal with the period of 4.3 ms, pulse width of 0.4 ms, and amplitude of 5.2 V. I tried to catch the signal by BNC 2110 & PCIe 6321, using it as a trigger signal.

By my design, I can see the waveform from the graph, however, the waveform got by Labview is different with the waveform from oscilloscope, just part of it. I think it means labview just caught part of the pulse, maybe the pulse width is too narrow for the labview to catch.

Do you have any advice? Thanks a lot.

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,878 Views)

Can you explain in detail the difference between LabVIEW and your oscilloscope? Perhaps by providing screenshots from both signals?

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,864 Views)

Yeath. Here are the pictures.

Capture for pulse by labview.PNGCapture for pulse by scope.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,858 Views)

First step: Adjust the time scale in LabVIEW & Zoom-in:

The oscilloscope shows 5 pulses, ie. about 25 ms. The LabVIEW graph currently shows 1 s, i.e. about 230 pulses.

Or measure just for 25 ms.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 4 of 7
(2,841 Views)

Thanks, Jens.

The period of the pulse signal is around 4.3 ms, which is not hard to catch. What I'm worried about is the pulse width, which is just 0.4 ms. To the picture, we can see the pulse is even in the scope, but randomly in the labview. So, I am thinking the labview can not catch every pulse signal.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,837 Views)

You sample with 100kSPS (means one sample every 0.01ms) so for the rising and the falling edge you get an uncertainty of 0.01ms .. so you can expect a 0.02ms variance for a 0.4ms pulse.

(your scope has what...1GSPS? ), Your DAQ has a bandwidth of 700kHz, the scope XX0MHz 😄

Small improvement: Increase the samplerate to maximum 250kSPS.

But to get better measurements of the pulse periode and length you should use the timer/counter inputs. Have a look at the examples on how to measure periode and pulse length with counter.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,799 Views)

Thanks for your advice, friend. I tried to use the counter port, and solved the question.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,776 Views)