LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same VI, two different outcomes on two different computers

Solved!
Go to solution

This VI has two completely different performances on two computers. On the first computer, (the one the VI was built on) the VI functions perfectly. On the second, the VI prompts the user to manually save the file despite a correct, real, and verified path and filename. On the second computer, if a template is added to the create report VI, the data is saved in the template file -- not a new file. 

Any ideas how to fix this? The VI needs to run the exact same no matter what computer it is run on. Same version of labview, same operating system, version etc... Quite literally, I have held all parameters the same (even the file paths are designed to be the same) and the VI still functions differently.

Labview 2021 SP1 used. Back dated VI version in comments.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,318 Views)

past version 18.0

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CatDoe
Do you have the same version of Excel on both PCs?
Message 3 of 13
(1,307 Views)

@Gregory wrote:
Do you have the same version of Excel on both PCs?

Differences in Excel and ActiveX across deployment targets causing failures is the main reason I abandoned the MS Office Report Toolkit. The cost of adding MS Office to every deployment was a close second.

I save my data for Excel in simple text or .csv files.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,305 Views)

Good question. I had to check.

Computer 1: Excel 365 - VI works perfectly!

Computer 2: Excel 2019 - VI does not work as expected.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,303 Views)

No nice work around to output excel files then? 

Looks like .txt will be our solution and just have to import the file into excel manually.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,296 Views)

@RTSLVU Could you do a super simple VI sending a string to a .txt file and then appending the file with another string that works on most distributions in your experience? I can adapt that to what I need.

I am trying to find the non-report generation tool kit VI's and cannot find the old VI's from my past experience anywhere. It appears everything I find is of the same "family" as the faulty excel VI's...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,287 Views)

The way I was thinking of exporting the data to a .txt file won't work in for a LLB file. Would this apply to a file created by a distributable, but not saved to the LLB. Instead, the .txt file is saved to a directory on the computer?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,269 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CatDoe

Here's an example program I made for a colleague years ago that demonstrates a simple State Machine that creates a new file and appends data.

========================
========================
Message 9 of 13
(1,209 Views)

@CatDoe wrote:

The way I was thinking of exporting the data to a .txt file won't work in for a LLB file. Would this apply to a file created by a distributable, but not saved to the LLB. Instead, the .txt file is saved to a directory on the computer?

I don't understand this question. 

You don't save data to an LLB, you save your data to file on the computer the program is running on. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,206 Views)