From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP client shows BCC recipients in sent e-mails

I have had similar trouble with the NI SMTP client before (link). Now I figured out that the recipients from BCC field are exposed in the sent e-mail. Therefore, recipients can see all other recipients. At least in the couple of tests that I did. Nothing much one can do wrong with this test, as you only have to enter one or more recipients in the following VI:

smtp set recipients.png

I tested with lv 2015 & 2017 32 bits. I only used my domain smtp server for now.

I hope someone can advise me on a more robust solution to replace SMTP, or this SMTP library.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,214 Views)

I have the same result using the NI SMTP client, but was successful in hiding the BCC recipients by modifying the Gmail example found here:

http://www.ni.com/example/30992/en/

I changed the 'MailMessage' property node from 'CC' to 'Bcc' and sent an email from an Office 365 address to multiple recipients, without revealing other recipients addresses.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,177 Views)

Thanks for the alternative solution! I'll give it a go.

Still, a Labview built-in toolkit should not have such quirks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,162 Views)

@aartjan wrote:

Thanks for the alternative solution! I'll give it a go.

Still, a Labview built-in toolkit should not have such quirks

I wouldn't call that a "quirk" - I'd call it a "bug" - and a potentially devastating one, at that.  Not devastating code-wise, but ramification-wise.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,147 Views)

My test was not conclusive enough for me to claim it to be a bug. But if others can concur, then it sure is one.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,131 Views)